• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

One time too many

New posts
aquaticbiology said:
sounds to me like he was regretting the waiving of the security deposit - if you had paid it he could have just withdrawn the money and stroked it

of course that guy might have used it to install hidden video cameras!

HIDDEN VIDEO CAMERA'S........:eek: Where!!!!!:????? :biggrin:
 
BR....unless you had spoken directly to your renters during the renting process, I can maybe understand their reaction. We rent directly through WC and I never speak to any of our renters, so it would be maybe a bit strange for me to call them out of the blue while they are staying there. Just my opinion. Sorry about all the damage. What kind of paint was spilled? That does sound bizarre.
 
My phone call goes like this: "Hello, this is [my name], and I'd like to welcome you to our home at which you are a guest."

I think the phone call is nice but not sure you worded this as welcoming as you intended. It sounds like you are reminding them not to mess anything up. Yes, they are guests but they already know that. They've paid a few grand for the weekly rental. If you aren't truly sincere, they will hear it in your voice. If you're worried about your house, they may sense that too. If you wake up in a off mood that day...skip the call. :biggrin:


Try: Hello, this is BR, I'd like to welcome you to our home. If there's anything you need, please email us at-----------Thank you, enjoy the beach and have a great week.

I'm so sorry about the damage at your home. Too bad all renters aren't like most of us on this board.
 
I have mixed feelings on calling a guest when they have rented from an agency. I do call my guests a couple of hours after arrival times to make sure everything is ok, but they rent directly through me and I have established a bit of a repoire with them.
I am even a little skeptical of calling now on my larger home because sometimes an extended family member picks up who I never spoke to. Not sure how they feel about it. This is the first year I had started doing this, and so far, I think it has been well received.
I think I am doing the right thing, especially after the Rook tragedy, I was PM by some people who rent in SoWal and told me to keep us this practice.

Beach Runner- I had a similar experience this year that I posted. I know how ill I got over it, but I realized it is part of owning a rental property and is bound to happen no matter how careful I screen someone.

I let my guests come in early Friday at no charge to avoid the 4th traffic, and my housekeeper called me and told me they left the lockbox front pad inside, with the key. Her assistant did not have a key yet, so my housekeeper had to drive all the way across town to open the door. Fortunately they left it inside and she was able to set it up for the new people, but geez, they could have called me and asked if there was something they could have done with it or asked for help. My neighbor lives right next door.

Still though, in light of my past experiences, I still would not show up when people are staying in my house. As I said, I don't care much for it if I rent someone's house here in the Northeast.
 
Ocean Lover said:
I think the phone call is nice but not sure you worded this as welcoming as you intended. It sounds like you are reminding them not to mess anything up. Yes, they are guests but they already know that. They've paid a few grand for the weekly rental. If you aren't truly sincere, they will hear it in your voice. If you're worried about your house, they may sense that too. If you wake up in a off mood that day...skip the call. :biggrin:


Try: Hello, this is BR, I'd like to welcome you to our home. If there's anything you need, please email us at-----------Thank you, enjoy the beach and have a great week.

I'm so sorry about the damage at your home. Too bad all renters aren't like most of us on this board.
I didn't word it exactly like that. Let's say my house's name is Beach Runner's Crib. I was going to say, "Hi, my name is Jane Doe, and I want to welcome you to Beach Runner's Crib." But I was afraid that not everyone staying there would know the name of the house, perhaps only the person who made the reservation. So, that's why I added the "at which you are a guest."

I always speak in a very friendly and upbeat tone, and I do sincerely want them to enjoy their stay. The only reason I started doing this is because I thought this was considered a good thing to do from the collective wisdom of members of this board as posted in multiple threads last summer.

But since some people might be bothered by it, I'll stop doing it.
 
Honestly, if your house is being rented thru an agency, I don't see the need, unless it is something that you want to do. I would probably do as OL suggested and just have a card with instructions on who to contact if a problem arises. BUT. . . if I was renting my place thru vrbo or something like that, I would definitely call. We rented thru vrbo last year and I was scared to death. Everything worked out okay once we got the door open. Had he$$ of a time with the box on the door handle. I will admit I almost hyperventilated for a minute.
 
Beach Runner said:
I didn't word it exactly like that. Let's say my house's name is Beach Runner's Crib. I was going to say, "Hi, my name is Jane Doe, and I want to welcome you to Beach Runner's Crib." But I was afraid that not everyone staying there would know the name of the house, perhaps only the person who made the reservation. So, that's why I added the "at which you are a guest."

I always speak in a very friendly and upbeat tone, and I do sincerely want them to enjoy their stay. The only reason I started doing this is because I thought this was considered a good thing to do from the collective wisdom of members of this board as posted in multiple threads last summer.

But since some people might be bothered by it, I'll stop doing it.

BR,
I have NO intention of NOT calling each group of guests to welcome them until one of them purchases our home!!!!!!!

AMEN to all the things you said. :clap_1: I can tell you are a nice person. If a greeting call offends a guest they have the option of leaving. I have been through too much abuse on a number of levels not to at least make a phone call. IT IS MY HOME!!!!! Bet you got a number of PM on the rental mess ----I know I did. I have an agency but I refer 90-95% of the rentals to them which I receive a very small discount. I would like nothing better for all this to work with each individual respectfully carrying out their obligation--I provide the house, the agency rents the house, the guests pay the rent and enjoy it, the cleaning crew cleans the house. We all do our job and everyone benefits---In a perfect world,huh????
 
Wow, I feel so bad for all of you with all this damage and heartache to your beach homes. I know we love to be able to splurge and stay somewhere nice, with all the beautiful linens, thick fluffy towels, etc. But I would be an absolute basket case if I owned a place knowing how people, in general, are. Also, I would never be offended if the owner called the first day. I'd immediately think they care very much about their home and their guests. That alone, would personalize it for me to be sure to be extra, extra careful. I think as owners you have to do whatever you think might possibly help.

BR, do you have any clue as to why these renters/guests got paint all over the deck? So weird. When we go on vacation, we never bring a can of paint along!!
 
JR,
"We never bring a can of paint along" :floor:

You are just the type of family I would love to have in our home. :wub: Thanks for that kind message.
 
Hmmm... I usually call our guests within one or two days of their stay and say "Hi, I'm the owner of the cottage and want to make sure you have everything you need and to answer any questions you have." Sometimes I may give them advice such as check out the fountains at the Villages of S. Walton" or "Fonville Press and Seacrest cafe have free wireless if you brought your laptop" or something else that might be helpful. But I try to keep the call brief and don't call back again. I hope this is appreciated by guests, but perhaps it isn't. I'll have to think about it.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top