• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Orthopedic doc?

New posts
My primary doctor has recommended Dr. Agostinelli for bunion surgery. Do you know if he can perform surgery at Sacred Heart? I had a similar experience with Glenn. He said he "might" be able to fix my rotator cuff. That's when I hi-tailed it to B'ham.

I am sure everyone has different experiences, positive and negative, with various docs - especially with ankles - they are very, very difficult to treat and heal and take a LOT of time and effort.

I do know that Dr. Glenn performed near miracle emergency work on me, which was verified by doctors in both Birmingham and Mayo Clinic later on when Glenn sent me out to research my next level of surgery which no one in Bham would or could touch. Glenn kept me walking and sane for years, and encouraged me to seek a very alternative but necessary surgery at Mayo. We both learned a lot in the process. Sometimes your surgeon is there to help you get through the hard part and to find the best solution - he insisted that it was my work to do and my decision and I found that he was so right! Without him I would have settled for a much inferior surgery treatment (as was offered by Bham docs) and would have had problems for the rest of my life. So, my experience was truly a good one!

Glenn isn't an ankle specialist - he just happened to be on call when surgery was required and I consider myself very lucky to have had him do the reconstruction.

I would definitely recommend to anyone with foot and ankle problems to seek an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in ankle work! We are lucky to have more surgeons in the area.

I visited the top surgeons in Bham and they did not impress - I had learned a lot from Glenn and my own research before seeing them - I guess I learned that top surgeons in a bigger city may or may not be the answer, depending on your problem.

Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville - trust me - if you have a serious health problem, especially orthopedic, they know what the hell they are doing!
 
Last edited:
Sometimes I think it is all in the way the stars are aligned. When I blew out my knee I went to a doc that was highly recommended and had an awful experience but then talked to a lot of people who had amazing results with him. He later became a good friend and running partner of mine (after another doc fixed my knee). That said, not one of the docs mentioned above come up in the provider search for my BCBSAL coverage :( I may have no choice but Dr. Andrews who is here and in bham.
 
Sometimes I think it is all in the way the stars are aligned. When I blew out my knee I went to a doc that was highly recommended and had an awful experience but then talked to a lot of people who had amazing results with him. He later became a good friend and running partner of mine (after another doc fixed my knee). That said, not one of the docs mentioned above come up in the provider search for my BCBSAL coverage :( I may have no choice but Dr. Andrews who is here and in bham.

Go see Andrews and see what he says. You gotta do your own research and find what you really need!
 
I have BCBSAL and was fully covered with Dr. Markowski. He will show up under the name of his clinic; not his name. I think it is "Bluewater Orthopedics", sorry, not sure, can't remember. Did your son's arm do well after the surgery?
 
He recovered great. Rods in/rods out. He had different insurance then. I'll see. This issue is a lot more complex, who knows how much cartilage is left plus with numbness and tingling I'm worried about nerve impingement. Will I ever run again?
 
He recovered great. Rods in/rods out. He had different insurance then. I'll see. This issue is a lot more complex, who knows how much cartilage is left plus with numbness and tingling I'm worried about nerve impingement. Will I ever run again?


Glad to hear he did well. I hope you will be able to run and that you find an orthopod who does the best thing for you, good luck!;-)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top