• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Paint Test

New posts

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
I started this on another thread, but here we go again. We are on a mission to get The Conch Out (Grayton...see Kirt's virtual tour) repainted this year. At this point, will probably be early fall because the house is pretty well booked. If you know Conch Out, you realize this will be a task on a global scale and we want it to look right in its environs. So we are open to suggestions as to a suitable color scheme. The top contender at the moment is a seafoam green with a hint of khaki, dark green for the French doors, white trim, and a somewhat darker stain for all the decking. Someone suggested a color scheme that looked like the inside of a conch shell, set off with coral blush French doors and white trim...but, er... we thought that was a little too suggestive :oops: :oops:

As I said, we are open to suggestion. Just to make it interesting, we are offering a world class dinner for eight with a full compliment of Napa Valley's finest wines, provided by us at The Conch Out, to the party with the winning suggestion. (Upped the ante from the previous post, as penance for straying from that thread.) :welcome:
 
white like the sand and green/brown like the sea oats, just like your avatar

i assume you just mean the ouside, but you do some serious shell colors inside...
 
I wish I had some suggestions, Donna, but I don't have a good sense of color and envy people who do. All our walls in our home and in our cottages are painted some variation of white. But I wish the very best to the lucky person who suggests the best colors and gets such a nice dinner and wine!
 
I suggest you tell us what colors the other houses around you are...we want you to be unique! I would also walk or drive around other neighborhoods and see what combos catch your eye.
 
TFT will now reveal her deepest, darkest secret, known only to those who ... well, ask a decorating question within her earshot.

She is a paint junkie.

Donna, I visit another online place where we go on and on about undertones of popular colors, lighting, pigmentation, etc. I'll try not to bore you, but I have in my possession five complete sets of paint chips for various paint lines, some of them obscure. I also have partial collections from other lines, and an assortment of other chips stuffed in random drawers. Sadly my Benjamin Moore paint fan (the decorator's bible) has been lent out. (My obsession sometimes proves useful to other people.)

I do however, have my C2 paint fan, and while that paint is not available in Florida (best not to ask me why I have it) it is available in California.

I like your color scheme idea, but I have to say my very very favorite accent color, especially for Grayton, is some variation of teal. In your case, dark teal for your french doors. They might even be that now but I can't tell from the pic. I just love anything that echoes the beauty of the emerald waters. So I would do not dark green (too staid) but something with more blue in it.

I like the seafoam green idea. I think anything light greenish looks really sharp with a darker blue green -- it's echoes of the sea but there's enough contrast to be interesting.

Two colors I'm looking at are C2's "Churchill" for the doors and "Cucumber" for the body color. (though on C2's website they don't look much like the actual color.) I like softer white trim. This would give you a classic yet fresh, fun and beachy look that would look like it belongs on Grayton. You want people to say oh, that's pretty, but I would never do it on my house. It's a vacation home. Be fun!

Just my opinion ... take it with several grains of sand. I'd be happy to PM you if you ever want to discuss more color combos. I have a pretty good eye overall as to what works with what, but of course everyone has their color preference so you want to go with what moves you first. Make any sense?

The last thing I would say is the peach/pinky color scheme sounds clever, but it likely would be washed out by the very strong light.
 
TooFarTampa, you are not alone. I too am another paint junkie. I have more paint in our house than you could shake a stick at. :lolabove: Case in point--how many colors do I have going on in the sitting room? Hmmm, red was the original color, yellow's the color that's in the landing, pale aqua is the color I'm fiddling with, and it's been like this since the fall. I haven't decided yet and there's a fourth paint can in the basement just waiting for its chance...

Donna, I most certainly WILL be offering suggestions for your house. :floor: I might have a lot of experience in the matter. :blink:
 
Mermaid said:
TooFarTampa, you are not alone. I too am another paint junkie. I have more paint in our house than you could shake a stick at. :lolabove: Case in point--how many colors do I have going on in the sitting room? Hmmm, red was the original color, yellow's the color that's in the landing, pale aqua is the color I'm fiddling with, and it's been like this since the fall. I haven't decided yet and there's a fourth paint can in the basement just waiting for its chance...

Donna, I most certainly WILL be offering suggestions for your house. :floor: I might have a lot of experience in the matter. :blink:


Oh, dear, we have to talk. This isn't even lounge material ... I'll PM you later. Toddler has just awoken and needs to be released from his crib. But I have to say that gold is beautiful with your lovely dark trim. What color is that, I have to ask! Then I will stop.

Sorry Donna. :oops:
 
Well, my "unprofessional" choice would be a white-washed, very pale lime or honeydew (& I mean very pale). Then trim in white. I think that the simpler, the better. Grayton has a "weathered" look.
 
The competition is heating up. This could be very competitive! People, wave your paintbrushes!!!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top