• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

partial pmts on propery taxes

New posts

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but does anyone know why the county doesn't accept partial payments for property taxes? I sent a check for half of my taxes and it was returned to me for the following reason:
An incorrect amount was remitted
and
We can not accept particial payments on taxes.

They can't even spell partial.

I'm confused. With the cost of property taxes, and mine aren't outrageous, I thought this would be acceptable. :idontno:
 
I have wondered this myself, and I'm guessing it's because of the "discount" system, ie you get a 4 percent discount if paid by Nov. 30, 3 percent by Dec. 31, 2 percent by Jan. 31 and 1 percent by Feb. 28. Taxes are due in full in March.

I don't see why they wouldn't allow partial payment if by doing so that means the payer automatically agrees to pay the full tax bill with no discount. That would probably require a change in state law and the Legislature is busy with other matters at the moment. :floor:
 
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but does anyone know why the county doesn't accept partial payments for property taxes? I sent a check for half of my taxes and it was returned to me for the following reason:
An incorrect amount was remitted
and
We can not accept particial payments on taxes.

They can't even spell partial.

I'm confused. With the cost of property taxes, and mine aren't outrageous, I thought this would be acceptable. :idontno:


I bet their computer accounting system does not allow for that option.
 
Went to the tax collector's site and found this:

Alternative (Installment) Payment Plan for Property Taxes

Taxpayers may choose to pay their property taxes quarterly by participating in an installment payment plan. To be eligible for the plan, the taxpayers' prior year taxes must exceed $ 100.00. Those who qualify must fill out and return an Installment Plan application form to the Tax Collector's Office no later than May 1st (application forms are available at any location) or they can be printed off the web.

The plan requires that the first installment be made no later than June 30th. Failure to make the first payment will automatically terminate the participant's eligibility for the remainder of the year. The taxpayer will then be sent a regular tax bill in November, and must apply to be reinstated on the installment plan for future tax years.

The 1st and 2nd installments are based on ? of the previous year's taxes. The 1st installment is discounted 6%, and the 2nd installment, due September 30th, is discounted 4.5%. The 3rd and 4th installments are ? of the remaining actual tax liability for the current year. The 3rd installment is discounted 3% and is due by December 31st. The 4th installment is not discounted and due by March 31st.
 
Went to the tax collector's site and found this:

Alternative (Installment) Payment Plan for Property Taxes

Taxpayers may choose to pay their property taxes quarterly by participating in an installment payment plan. To be eligible for the plan, the taxpayers' prior year taxes must exceed $ 100.00. Those who qualify must fill out and return an Installment Plan application form to the Tax Collector's Office no later than May 1st (application forms are available at any location) or they can be printed off the web.

The plan requires that the first installment be made no later than June 30th. Failure to make the first payment will automatically terminate the participant's eligibility for the remainder of the year. The taxpayer will then be sent a regular tax bill in November, and must apply to be reinstated on the installment plan for future tax years.

The 1st and 2nd installments are based on ? of the previous year's taxes. The 1st installment is discounted 6%, and the 2nd installment, due September 30th, is discounted 4.5%. The 3rd and 4th installments are ? of the remaining actual tax liability for the current year. The 3rd installment is discounted 3% and is due by December 31st. The 4th installment is not discounted and due by March 31st.

Tampa, this is good information, you can bet I am going to take advantage of this! Do you know the web link to print off the application?
 
Thanks so much for the info TFT. I didn't realize payments on an account had to be so complicated, but then again there is nothing simple about any government entity I guess. :roll:
 
Thanks so much for the info TFT. I didn't realize payments on an account had to be so complicated, but then again there is nothing simple about any government entity I guess. :roll:

No worries; I learned something new and just may try it for our home down here. :biggrin: Maybe it is worth all the paperwork ...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top