• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paygo is a joke

New posts
The entire episode is an example of how Congress just doesn't work. You cannot tell me that this was not a scripted piece of political theater that shows how dysfunctional the Republican party is - they picked this guy to filibuster because he's not running for re-election. If the GOP leadership really wanted to press PayGo, they could have stood up the first day and led this fight. They could have been in front of the cameras, outlining the five different ways they proposed paying for this instead of going deeper into debt. They could have won this fight, frankly, with a little organization and actual leadership.

Instead, there was Boehner, saying he didn't back Bunning but "sympathized" with him, while Bunning was flayed in his hometown newspaper. The GOP leadership got to look like they were on the side of the people needing the benefits while the old guy fell on the grenade.

It was ridiculous, the entire thing.
 
Taking one for the team - sometimes it works. I think the reps who are 'for extending the unemployment benefits' clearly know we have to stop borrowing. So, with the recent law, it makes sense to slow down and think about what is being spent when we don't have the money. Hopefully, we all run our households in the same fashion. More steps in this direction will allow us to pull out of this recession much more quickly than throwing bad money after bad. This action does not mean people are without compassion, but are methodical in the approach. If he's not being running for re-election, he is the perfect filibuster candidate.

News this morning: Greece has curtailed their budget this year by a very painful $6.5B. (Think of the size and population of Greece vs. USA!) They know continuing to borrow will devastate the European Nations. Incidentally, the Euro rallied with this news. I applaud Greece for such a drastic measure!
 
The entire episode is an example of how Congress just doesn't work. You cannot tell me that this was not a scripted piece of political theater that shows how dysfunctional the Republican party is - they picked this guy to filibuster because he's not running for re-election. If the GOP leadership really wanted to press PayGo, they could have stood up the first day and led this fight. They could have been in front of the cameras, outlining the five different ways they proposed paying for this instead of going deeper into debt. They could have won this fight, frankly, with a little organization and actual leadership.

Instead, there was Boehner, saying he didn't back Bunning but "sympathized" with him, while Bunning was flayed in his hometown newspaper. The GOP leadership got to look like they were on the side of the people needing the benefits while the old guy fell on the grenade.

It was ridiculous, the entire thing.

I agree with you about the lack of republican leadership on this issue but this "political theatre" also shows the "political tricks" played by the democrats. Their only motive to pass pay-go was to appear fiscally conservative. Words not backed up by actions seems to be prevalent on both sides. :pissed:
 
The entire episode is an example of how Congress just doesn't work. You cannot tell me that this was not a scripted piece of political theater that shows how dysfunctional the Republican party is - they picked this guy to filibuster because he's not running for re-election. If the GOP leadership really wanted to press PayGo, they could have stood up the first day and led this fight. They could have been in front of the cameras, outlining the five different ways they proposed paying for this instead of going deeper into debt. They could have won this fight, frankly, with a little organization and actual leadership.

Instead, there was Boehner, saying he didn't back Bunning but "sympathized" with him, while Bunning was flayed in his hometown newspaper. The GOP leadership got to look like they were on the side of the people needing the benefits while the old guy fell on the grenade.

It was ridiculous, the entire thing.


This has been going on forever- Bunning has been an embarrassment to the state of KY for too long. The KY GOP made sure he wouldn't run again by backing Trey Grayson in the next election- they get it that Bunning is way past his prime and usefullness, and has actually become bad baggage. Sadly, it appears that something is medically wrong with him by his words and actions of the last few years (and many have been discussing it behind the scenes for awhile). He has been taking up a seat that somebody lucid (Dem or Rep) could have been working in for the betterment of KY and the country as a whole- instead, we got too many years of mean, bitter, crazy, and complete ineptness in his job.

Ha- I always shake my head at Florida politics- then I remember that I am from Kentucky.:floor:
 
This has been going on forever- Bunning has been an embarrassment to the state of KY for too long. The KY GOP made sure he wouldn't run again by backing Trey Grayson in the next election- they get it that Bunning is way past his prime and usefullness, and has actually become bad baggage. Sadly, it appears that something is medically wrong with him by his words and actions of the last few years (and many have been discussing it behind the scenes for awhile). He has been taking up a seat that somebody lucid (Dem or Rep) could have been working in for the betterment of KY and the country as a whole- instead, we got too many years of mean, bitter, crazy, and complete ineptness in his job.

Ha- I always shake my head at Florida politics- then I remember that I am from Kentucky.:floor:

I guess job ineptness is in the eye of the beholder. I'm also from Kentucky and I'm not embarrassed by Bunning in the least. The KY GOP may be backing Trey Grayson but I'm backing Rand Paul. :wave:
 
I guess job ineptness is in the eye of the beholder. I'm also from Kentucky and I'm not embarrassed by Bunning in the least. The KY GOP may be backing Trey Grayson but I'm backing Rand Paul. :wave:


I am not surprised in the least that you think Bunning has been an asset. Just as you are probably not surprised that I think he is a fool.

I had to Google Rand Paul- and I see that Sarah Palin is supporting him- he seems too classy to attach to that- he even has her on his web page. Is that his way of pulling in Teabaggers?
 
I am so disgusted with Washington these days. I have to wonder if any of them will still have jobs after the next round of elections.
 
So we aren't paying unemployment benefits because we don't have the money for them ................... did we stop spending money on wars in Afghanistan and Iraq too? :roll:

I think this Senator is being a butt, but he has a valid point - $10 Billion is a drop in the bucket in the federal budget. Why can't we shuffle some stuff around and trim a little pork to find this money?
 
So we aren't paying unemployment benefits because we don't have the money for them ................... did we stop spending money on wars in Afghanistan and Iraq too? :roll:

I think this Senator is being a butt, but he has a valid point - $10 Billion is a drop in the bucket in the federal budget. Why can't we shuffle some stuff around and trim a little pork to find this money?

Bunning's point was to show the hypocrisy of the dems Pay-go law. I think he made his point.
 
Well, that's great politricks ...................... now how about a solution instead of just scoring points? :roll:

Whether he showed those Dems or not, there are still Americans who are hurting and need a solution, not just politricks.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top