• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Pet friendly?

New posts
Russell is just the cutest thing!!!
 
There have been other such posts without a lot of response. Why, might you ask? Besides the fact that I "might" trust my dog, but even my own family is rather cavalier about their own dogs having accidents, it is an insurance matter. Every year that we've owned our home, our insurance has been cancelled (hard to find insurance for beach houses), and every insurance company that we've had has a clause in their policy that excludes pets.
 
I am familiar with the cottage called Arcadia. We looked at it one year as a possible prospect. We ended up not choosing it (even though it's very charming) because there's only one bathtub/shower in the entire house. And it's not especially close to the beach, about 1/4 mile away, which I consider a long walk when you have beach gear. It's on Magnolia not very far from where it splits off from the main drag. If you pull up www.mapquest.com and plug in the address, you'll see exactly where it is. One nice feature of Arcadia is that the house is "U" shaped, with an interior courtyard. If I remember correctly, the courtyard is enclosed with a gate, which would make it good for a dog (but I'd double check).

There's a poster here, Unplugged, who rents his cottage and I know it's pet-friendly, if you're still considering other places.
 
We were pet friendly until last season. As far as I know we never had accidents or damage, but we had a real problem with poor housekeeping after a black lab visited -- guess there was no time to get the hair off the couch and off other places. The renters who arrived the same day were disgusted. Never again.

Getting a place clean in a "quick turn" situation is hard enough given the difficulties in finding good housekeeping service. Adding pet hair to the equation is just too risky when the next renters are expecting a clean house for their $2K or whatever. I think that most places that are pet friendly do it so they can bring in more renters.

By the way, I have a big lab too! I just don't bring him to SoWal. We have a dog sitter.
 
My pets' hair follows me everywhere. It sticks to things with a force greater than velcro. I gave up trying to eliminate it long ago.
 
Correct me if I am wrong, but once you get your pet to the beach, if they don't have a county license, they can't be on the beach, right?


Underthebluemoon- have you asked your friends and business aquaintances where they board their pets? I have worked for a fairly large vet practice for 5 years, and I can't recall seeing a dog that got mange at a kennel. If Russell has a kennel cough vaccine, you send his own food with him, and don't add a bunch of rich new treats to "make him happy", you will be fine, and so will his health, especially his tummy! Also, if your vet boards, even better. But if Russell wanders, and there is not a fenced yard at the rental, it sounds like a vacation of work and worry to keep track of him. He may even be safer at a kennel. I have 2 terrier mixes, so I understand the focus on "traveling".
 
I did not have such good luck with 2-getaway. We rented a house from them for 3k, they did not tell us that they were building a new house next door and we would be up every morning at 700 to the sound of hammers and saws. I would not recommend for that reason.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top