• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

PLEASE READ: Save our beaches!

New posts
You may call Walton County at 622-0000 and report items left on the beach overnight. Try to have specific location and item, time left, etc. This might assist in removal.
 
I can't believe how people are so rude, careless, and disrespectful of nature, but I don't have a good solution for preventing it or changing their behavior. These disgusting slobs act the same when they're not on the beach as well, which is why picking trash out of my yard and street is a common chore during tourist season (especially w/ this week's slobs) and we have fires from cigarettes tossed out windows.

Given that they don't read the current (incredibly clear and obvious) signs, I don't think more signs is a solution, unless we are whacking them upside the head w/ them.

If we can effectively enforce fines, I'm all for it, but since we aren't fully enforcing the "no items on the beach overnight" it will be hard to catch people in the act of littering.
 
I recently heard that on the Isle of Palms, just north of Charleston, SC, the County has made it illegal to dig holes on the beach without filling them in. I would hate for that to happen here,

I disagree...I say bring it on! Let's make our area a place for people who respect the rules and our beaches and send the others packing.
Filling in holes and toting out one's beach gear and garbage is not too much to ask......especially for a beachtown that handcuffs and hauls off peaceful visitors who just happen to be sitting on dry sand in the "wrong" area.

.
 
Last edited:
I must have scared my mother-in-law to death about beach litter. She brought her own garbage bags from Kentucky.:lol:

She's patrolling the area around Western Lake!:clap:
Good for her! Way to go, Mom! When she is done down there, send her up to BMB, we can always use the help. BTW, the TDC does a great job with the litter bags they have provided at the walkovers, both public and private. Once again, thanks, Mom.
 
Everyone can do their part. Make special trips to the beach once a week and get some sun while picking up garbage. Take pride in your hometown! We have to develop a culture of awareness. People will follow!
 
The holes this year are HUGE!!!! We've been to 4 different accesses this week on the west end of 30-A and ALL of them have huge holes. I try to kick sand in them and stand on the sides of them so that they are a bit smaller after we leave. I wouldn't mind if they were illegal.

Our kids & I build small tunnels, but after we are done, we happily destroy them & flatten the sand back out.

There are shovels everywhere, just randomly left! I teach our kids to clean up everything we bring, even the tiniest thing. They know not to leave anything at all.

My brother, who's coming down in June, asked about leaving stuff on the beach overnight. He claimed that on St. George Island, they were allowed to leave their tents, gear, etc. all week. It really disgusted me, but I didn't get snarky on him. I just said, "That's not the right thing to do..." and listed the reasons why politely. (They've already rented a place NEXT year on St. George's again.) I'll watch him closely this year.:biggrin:
 
I have always thought that those float tubes or snakes.....alone would take years and years for the dump to consume them....does anyone know if those things can be recycled? are they not just a large styrofoam cup (colored)...and the same for those boogy boards...those are just styrofoam..could we not start a collection point for those and have a Sowal team effort to at least recycle that if possible...I know,,,,just rentals alone..i see those things in the trash every weekend!:idontno:
 
There are problems with enforcement of existing laws. Adding more laws which cannot be enforced solves nothing, and just makes us yell louder. I have a good mind to solve the issue with daily shovel runs. What if each of us celebrated sunset everyday by bringing our big shovels to the beach and filled in all of the holes dug during the day. It might be pretty fun. I have always wanted to knock over a sandcastle or two anyway.

Skunky, you are right about the cheap plastic crap going from the shelf to the beach, but I hate that all of that crap piles up in the dump. I wish there were stations around the length of 30A where kids could go to get free toys, and throw them back in the Free Box when they are done, or just prior to leaving town (oh my, Smiling JOe is anti-capitalistic) so that another kid can use the crap. As the crap wears out, then recycle it. This entire disposable society we have sucks big time.
 
SJ, I think this is a great idea. I would also vote for total banning of those shovels they are selling to the kids.

Maybe some of the money used for trash collection could be used instead for a roving band of beach toy trucks--something similar to the Ice Cream truck. They could travel around handing out beach toys and collecting from again at the end of the day. I bet if smart people put their minds to it, a great solution could be found that might be funn as well as environmentally friendly and safe..
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top