• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Poison Truck

New posts
Smiling JOe said:
Oh gag me with a spoon. The d@mn poison truck just came by. Yuk. What the heck are they spraying? There has not been any rain, there is no standing water, except in my birdbath and dog waterbowls, which I clean regularly (mostly to get rid of the poison in there), and I have not noticed many mosquitos at all. Those poison spraying b@stards bug me. They should spray pine scent instead to take the place of all the trees which are being cut down for developments.:bang:


You said Gag me with a Spoon. :floor:

Seriously, they're probably only justifying next year's budget by logging some spraying hours.
 
Sueshore said:
Oh steele mama....we used to run after that truck in Houston and thought it was like being in London! I can still remember the smell. Our parents didn't even know to tell us not to do it!


Oh! That explains the purple hair and wild glasses! :lolabove: :wub:
 
Smiling JOe said:
Oh gag me with a spoon. The d@mn poison truck just came by. Yuk. What the heck are they spraying? There has not been any rain, there is no standing water, except in my birdbath and dog waterbowls, which I clean regularly (mostly to get rid of the poison in there), and I have not noticed many mosquitos at all. Those poison spraying b@stards bug me. They should spray pine scent instead to take the place of all the trees which are being cut down for developments.:bang:


My town has a mosquito spraying program also. It disrupts the Monarch migration patterns--it kills them, I have even found dead hummingbirds! I do not think it is a big assumption to consider the spray as the cause of their deaths either.
 
I agree with all the concerns about the spray. But beyond that...

Isn't it too late in the year to expect mosquitoes to breed?

My old home town of Memphis was nearly killed off by mosquito-borne yellow fever in the late 1800s. They still take their mosquito spraying seriously there. But you would never see a mosquito truck after September.
 
I didn't know about the butterflies - grrrrrr

I have always said - it would never do for me to have a really big gun! so many targets - the poison plane, the poison truck, the trucks on the beach...

oh well, soggy biscuits can't be fixed unless you remake the batch - and remaking the govt of walton county for the better is a long way off

only thing you could do is move somewhere there is no money - like mizippi! :biggrin:
 
TreeFrog said:
I agree with all the concerns about the spray. But beyond that...

Isn't it too late in the year to expect mosquitoes to breed?

My old home town of Memphis was nearly killed off by mosquito-borne yellow fever in the late 1800s. They still take their mosquito spraying seriously there. But you would never see a mosquito truck after September.

We have skeeters nearly year round, unless we have a good freeze. There are fewer this time of year but it's been hot and humid so they're still out. We haven't had much rain. If we had, there would be plenty.
 
jdarg said:
Oh! That explains the purple hair and wild glasses! :lolabove: :wub:


HA! Amongst many neurological issues!!!!
 
kurt said:
We have skeeters nearly year round, unless we have a good freeze. There are fewer this time of year but it's been hot and humid so they're still out. We haven't had much rain. If we had, there would be plenty.

Interesting.

I've been here full-time for nearly two years. So far, there have hardly been any mosquitoes in our part of Seagrove, substantially less than in Memphis. The soil at our place (mostly sand, of course) drains so well we don't have the moist areas under shrubs and stuff that made the mosquitoes so happy in Memphis.

You'll note I'm not crediting the truck for the lack of mosquitoes. :funn:
 
TreeFrog said:
Interesting.

I've been here full-time for nearly two years. So far, there have hardly been any mosquitoes in our part of Seagrove, substantially less than in Memphis. The soil at our place (mostly sand, of course) drains so well we don't have the moist areas under shrubs and stuff that made the mosquitoes so happy in Memphis.

You'll note I'm not crediting the truck for the lack of mosquitoes. :funn:
...but it is probably the poison in the truck which is killing them and everything else. If you are close to the beach, the beach breeze tends to push away the skeeters.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top