• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Pompano?

New posts

John

Beach Fanatic
I've been surf fishing for Pompano with no luck. Has anyone really caught any yet? I hear rumors but...
 
What kind of rig/bait are you using? Surf fishing for pompano is hard enough even with the right equipment. Usually, I just end up casting for skipjack when I don't have much luck with pompano.
 
I've been using both frozen shrimp and frozen sand fleas. I typically use a ready made double-hook pomp rig, but will occasionally make a hand tied rig. Have also tried some artificial baits.

These have all worked in the past, I just think the Pompano haven't shown up yet.
 
John said:
I've been using both frozen shrimp and frozen sand fleas. I typically use a ready made double-hook pomp rig, but will occasionally make a hand tied rig. Have also tried some artificial baits.

These have all worked in the past, I just think the Pompano haven't shown up yet.

I haven't heard of any yet. Any day now.
 
I have been out on the beach for a little while almost everyday for the past 3 weeks at either Ed Walline or the Dune Allen access...Have not seen any pomps caught yet, did see a guy catch a sandbar shark the other day. Fished for nearly 6 hours yesterday, with no luck, but the water is warming and I think about 2 weeks and we will be in full swing
 
They're not here yet. Water temps still slightly low. No bait in the water. When you start seeing the baitfish, that's when the pomp and Spanish start to show.
 
Yeah, still too cool.

SlowMovin, good bait pods in Mallet Bayou, caught a nice just-legal redfish yesterday evening off the dock with a DOA shrimp. He fought admirably and will live to fight again.
 
Have also been out several times with no luck. I have seen a few being caught though. They are definitely not here in any great numbers yet.
 
Saw that the water tmp has warmed up in the last couple of days...anybody seeing pomps in the surf yet?...Red
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top