• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Property Tax Bills

New posts

Tenn.Guy

Beach Comber
Got my property tax notice yesterday. I was very pleased to see my valuation had not increased this year, but I was also skeptical that the bill was wrong. So, I checked with Walton County. Unfortunately, ALL the tax notices were populated with last years appraisal info rather than 2005 info. The county is rerunning all the notices and will redistribute with correct info over the next few weeks. Too bad--I really thought I had a windfall versus where I thought the appraisal would go.
 
Thank you SO much for this info. I was very confused when I got the notice because I had called about two weeks prior to ask them about our 2005 valuation. That number was 40 percent higher than last year's, so I was expecting a tax bill much higher than the one I got. Too bad I'm right.

I can't believe they did that. :shock:
 
what are we supposed to do with these? I just pay taxes through the mortgage company and I never know what I'm supposed to do when they send me these notices. Do they send them to the mortgage company, too since they seem to bill the mortgage company directly?

Also, do you fill out the questionnaire and send it back for any reason?
 
Paula said:
what are we supposed to do with these? I just pay taxes through the mortgage company and I never know what I'm supposed to do when they send me these notices. Do they send them to the mortgage company, too since they seem to bill the mortgage company directly?

Also, do you fill out the questionnaire and send it back for any reason?
I didn't get a questionnaire. The mortgage company says it paid more last year than the statement indicates. If "budget changes" happen, it will go up; otherwise it will decrease. Yes, the mortgage company gets a copy of the property tax notice - otherwise they wouldn't know what to pay. I need to call them to see why they paid more than we owed. GRRRR!

Our property value went up BTW.

Yeah, and like, I live in GA and can't be at the meetings because I can't cancel class after being off all summer.
 
Paula said:
what are we supposed to do with these? I just pay taxes through the mortgage company and I never know what I'm supposed to do when they send me these notices. Do they send them to the mortgage company, too since they seem to bill the mortgage company directly?

Also, do you fill out the questionnaire and send it back for any reason?

We usually look them over, mumble something like "looks we're going to spend an extra $20 this year to help North Bay Fire buy a new truck" and then forget about them since our taxes are escrowed with out mortgage as well.

I assume they send out the notices because of some state law requiring it, and because it lets the people who don't have their taxes escrowed know just how much they're going to have to come up with in another four months so they can plan for it.
 
Just got my tax bill in yesterday as some others, then I read on the thread about the mistake. Well I took it upon myself to call to see what my ball park on the taxes were going to be this year and I was absolutly floored. My tax bill has doubled, and it wasn't small to begin with. I told them, I haven't gotten any closer to the beach, my house hasn't increased in size, how can they base my home on another home that is twice the size of mine and closer to the beach and tell me that is why. If the county is not careful they are going to make it to where people can't afford to even pay the taxes on the homes.

For those whose taxes are escrowed into your mortgage, get ready, because if you live in Walton County your property taxes are more than likely going to double which means your mortgage is going to take a big increase.
 
I really feel for y'all on the tax increase, which is probably coming on top of an insurance increase. I'm now feeling very lucky we're homesteaded.
 
what does homesteaded mean?

we spend more than 6 months a year down there....should we do it?
what does it require and what are the benefits.

doug
 
Cavallino said:
what does homesteaded mean?

we spend more than 6 months a year down there....should we do it?
what does it require and what are the benefits.

doug

You can only have one property homesteaded at any one time. It is supposed to be your "permanent" residence (although when people split time between residences it is hard to say what is permanent). All that is required is proof of ownership and signing a statement swearing under penalty of law that this is the only property that is homesteaded. You are then exempted from some property taxes.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top