• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Property Tax Bills

New posts
Just opened my"revised" tax bill. I kid you not...478 percent increase. I see the tunnel of light...it feels so good. Let me just go there now. I swear I can make out the faint outline of some lipstick on the Walton County envelope!
 
Bob said:
Just opened my"revised" tax bill. I kid you not...478 percent increase. I see the tunnel of light...it feels so good. Let me just go there now. I swear I can make out the faint outline of some lipstick on the Walton County envelope!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
 
Whoa....I can barely type.

EDIT: The envelope has arrived and I am playing chicken...I will wait for my dear husband to come home so we can deal with this together....keep us in your thoughts.
 
Last edited:
Ours arrived today, more than double last year's. We will appeal. Any desire out there for a collective voice on this issue?
 
Donna said:
Ours arrived today, more than double last year's. We will appeal. Any desire out there for a collective voice on this issue?
Mine have also doubled, how do we appeal? Better yet, how do we put together a collective voice? Sign me up!!
 
JC said:
Mine have also doubled, how do we appeal? Better yet, how do we put together a collective voice? Sign me up!!

I want to be on JC's team!!!! With a mug like that we will win! Opened ours and wasn't too bad...husband reminded me we got hammered last year. Can someone explain the public hearings schedule to me?
 
I rec'd the revised bills for our 2 properties in SoWal today and they are really strange.

The appraisal for the property in Seacrest Beach did not change (at all) and the tax bill went down whether the proposed changes are made or not. :D

The appraisal for the condo in Seagrove went up by $90,000 and the tax bill went up as well (again, whether the proposed changes are made or not.) :(

The house in Seacrest is easily worth twice what the condo in Seagrove is, yet it is appraised at $26,000 less than the condo.

If the proposed changes are made, my overall tax bill increases by about $700.

If the proposed changes are not made, my overall tax bill decreases by about $700.

Gonna be interesting to hear the explanation for this. :idontno:
 
Ours, also, were a little strange. The market value of the house we live in doubled, but our taxes went down with and without the proposed budget change. We've owned the house for 3 years.

The market value of our rental house in Seagrove has gone up by about a third (which is very low compared to regular market value). The taxes go up by a couple of grand with the proposed budget and about $100 without the budget change. We've owned the house for more than 5 years.

The market value of a small, relatively inexpensive lot we purchased just last year has more than doubled and so have the taxes with the proposed budget.

Sounds like we've got to look into what is going into this proposed budget! According to our notices, there is a public hearing on the proposed budget on Sept 6th and Sept 12th in DeFuniak. Perhaps we should all show up and voice our concern.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top