• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Prospect Looking in Destin

New posts

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Hello Everyone,

We have a prospect looking for a Single Family in Destin near Destin Elementary. Here are some of the things they are looking for -- if you know of a home that might fit their needs, please feel free to share the information with us and we will pass it along.

  • 3 Bedroom / 2 bath or more
  • 2 Car Garage - very important
  • Fenced Yard
  • No Homeowner's Fees
  • Close to Destin Elementary
  • They have children, so a safe neighborhood is a must.
  • Price range is around $230,000
Thanks for your time,
Christine & Racquel
Century 21 Beach Realty
 
Be sure they check into availability and expense of hurricane windstorm and Federal flood insurance.

I don't think you can even buy affordable Federal flood insurance in Destin.
 
Be sure they check into availability and expense of hurricane windstorm and Federal flood insurance.

I don't think you can even buy affordable Federal flood insurance in Destin.

I am listing a home in Destin this week near the schools, fenced in back yard,pool, 3/2 that does not require flood insurance. The price is $399,000. PM if you would like to see it.
 
I am listing a home in Destin this week near the schools, fenced in back yard,pool, 3/2 that does not require flood insurance. The price is $399,000. PM if you would like to see it.

My point is that you couldn't get affordable federal flood insurance even if you wanted it. I wouldn't buy any property on the coast if I couldn't buy Federal flood insurance.

My understanding is that the area from Sandestin to FWB is considered a coastal barrier island and therefore not eligible for Federal flood coverage.

Maybe your property is on a higher elevation and is an exception. That in itself would make your house very desirable. In order to find out just call your insurance company.

You can view the current hurricane storm surge map at:
http://gissv3.co.okaloosa.fl.us/viewer.htm

However, new revised storm surge maps are being released this spring which could change the whole ball game. Current maps are considered too optimistic following the Katrina disaster.
 
Not sure of where that information is coming from. I just renewed my Federal Flood insurance policy for 2007 and in fact I found it very reasonable in price. My home is 9' above sea level in the 2nd row in Tangomar. In fact, the Flood insurance is a very good bagain as compared to the windsorm insurance from Citizens. If you have ever gone through the damage process of recovering losses from a major hurricane as I have, you will find that the flood insurance is the most responsive and reasonable. I found this to be the case during Opal (95), Ivan and Dennis.
 
Not sure of where that information is coming from. I just renewed my Federal Flood insurance policy for 2007 and in fact I found it very reasonable in price. My home is 9' above sea level in the 2nd row in Tangomar. In fact, the Flood insurance is a very good bagain as compared to the windsorm insurance from Citizens. If you have ever gone through the damage process of recovering losses from a major hurricane as I have, you will find that the flood insurance is the most responsive and reasonable. I found this to be the case during Opal (95), Ivan and Dennis.

Very interesting. I have friends in Miramar beach area who are 25 ft. above sea-level and can not get affordable Federal Flood insurance.

How long have you had your flood insurance coverage? It is possible that you were "grandfathered" in before they stopped writing policies in your area.
 
We have flood insurance and we own at Miramar also. It is a lot cheaper than wind insurance. Do your friends own a house or condo - they will not insure 2nd floor or higher condos per our insurance carrier (we also have a condo with a garage on the first floor and they will not cover that.)
 
We have flood insurance and we own at Miramar also. It is a lot cheaper than wind insurance. Do your friends own a house or condo - they will not insure 2nd floor or higher condos per our insurance carrier (we also have a condo with a garage on the first floor and they will not cover that.)

How long have you had the flood insurance?

Apparently the Federal Flood insurance program will not cancel you if you are already insured unless your house is totaled by a storm surge then they may not renew-just tell you to take the money and run for high ground.

But if I were buying property down here I would make it contingent on being able to buy federal flood insurance.
 
Keep in mind that the federal flood insurance has a limit of $250K in coverage. If a flood does more damage than $250K can fix, you're on your own.
 
We have had our Flood insurance since 1990, so I suppose it is possible that we are grandfathered. The policy does not say this, so I really do not know. I am not sure how one could get a mortgage for new property at the beach without access to Flood insurance (?)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top