• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

public Candidate Forums update

New posts
One additional reason why people didn't attend last night's gathering is due to only Sheriff's and BCC candidates speaking. Remember, the Sheriff's race for this first election is only for the Registered Republicans, and it is too late to switch parties to Republican for this early race.

I'd also like to see more questions from the audience, whether those come from people standing in front of a mic, or written on index cards, throughout the session. I'd also like to see a top-five stance on issues, for each candidate, with each candidate's ideas on how to rectify the issues. During election season, all we hear is political talk of what each candidate likes or dislikes. It's great that a candidate wants to have the finest equipment and staff for a particular department, but how do you do that and set the budget accordingly, when every department is cutting back? It's great that another candidate wants to watch all of the tax dollars like a hawk, but how do you not spend and provide services for various departments? etc.
 
Who has a report from the SWHS candidate forum last night?

(I couldn't go and am starting to think people look at my calendar and schedule these things on every single day that I am have a prior commit.:bang:)
My wife and I attended the forum last night and the turn out was dissappointing. The format allowed each candidate two minutes introduction, two minutes closing and one minute on each of the three questions drawn at random. This format applied to the sheriff candidates and the commissioner candidates.
The sheriff candidates went first. What I noted most about both groups was the ability, or lack thereof, of the candidates to express themselve in front of the public. It became a question of who I was NOT going to vote for rather than one of who I would vote for. The questions, were for the most part, innocuous and non informative. There was one on the 911 system which Sheriff Johnson fielded quite nicely, to his credit. The qualifications of all the candidates seemed good but I particularly liked Dennis Wise's qualifications.
The commissioner candidates for District 5, save one, were all articulate, knowlegable and projected intelligent responses to the questions. So much so, that I wish we had two of the candidates from Distrrict 5 running for election in other districts. It is no secret I support Alan Osborne and nothing changed that opinion last night. My support was only enhance by his presentations.

The school board, superintendent, Republican committee persons and public defender's office candidates were all given two minutes to introduce themselves and present their qualifications. Two minutes is not much time to state your case but you could at least observe their demeanor.
All in all, it was interesting exercise but did little to change my thoughts on who I would support.
We plan to attend the forums at Rosemary Beach and Red Bay. Unless, something drastic occurs at one of them, my mind is already made up and I think so is my wife's, though I've learned after 27 years I don't really know.
 
I'm not sure which thread I want to reply to here...

After last night's forum at SWHS, I am sorely missing the "old" style of political rallies we used to have. People gathered, candidates made speeches about their background, their beliefs and their goals, unfettered by time constraints (which used to be one way to sort the wheat from the chaff - if they droned on forever or failed to capture your interest, there's your sign). If you had questions, you simply found the candidate before or after their speech, and you TALKED to them. One on one. If you were unfamiliar with the candidates, surely there is someone in attendance that you know - maybe from your church, or your kids go to school or play ball together, or they come in your place of business. Go to them and ask them what they think. Some people might think that's too personal, but that is what I would do if I didn't know the candidates.

Y'all are probably tired of me saying this, but I am fortunate in that I do personally know many of the candidates, particularly in the Sheriff race, and also the School Board race. I have known most of these folks for years, watched them on the job, grew up with a couple of them, actually dated one way back when, another one was in my wedding, etc. I know stuff about these people. Going to a forum is like a reunion for me, because Fuzz and I are friendly with most of the candidates and also many of the attendees. Yeah, I know that's a pitiful excuse for a social life, but we are kind of strange anyway.

But after last night, one thing is clear...as well as I know these folks, when you throw them in front of an audience in a one-minute/two-minute format, throw questions at them, and then hold up a stop sign, the people I saw up there did not AT ALL seem like the people I know. Not even close. There were a couple of exceptions, but it breaks my heart that people are making their decisions for our future based on what they see at a forum such as the one at SWHS last night.

I'll be at Red Bay, but I am not sure I'll be able to handle another moderated forum for a while. :roll:
 
While I have not lived here for nearly that long, I totally agree with your assessment of last night's forum. Well said, SN.
 
After last night's forum at SWHS, I am sorely missing the "old" style of political rallies we used to have. People gathered, candidates made speeches about their background, their beliefs and their goals, unfettered by time constraints (which used to be one way to sort the wheat from the chaff - if they droned on forever or failed to capture your interest, there's your sign). If you had questions, you simply found the candidate before or after their speech, and you TALKED to them. One on one. If you were unfamiliar with the candidates, surely there is someone in attendance that you know - maybe from your church, or your kids go to school or play ball together, or they come in your place of business. Go to them and ask them what they think. Some people might think that's too personal, but that is what I would do if I didn't know the candidates.

Y'all are probably tired of me saying this, but I am fortunate in that I do personally know many of the candidates, particularly in the Sheriff race, and also the School Board race. I have known most of these folks for years, watched them on the job, grew up with a couple of them, actually dated one way back when, another one was in my wedding, etc. I know stuff about these people. Going to a forum is like a reunion for me, because Fuzz and I are friendly with most of the candidates and also many of the attendees. Yeah, I know that's a pitiful excuse for a social life, but we are kind of strange anyway.

But after last night, one thing is clear...as well as I know these folks, when you throw them in front of an audience in a one-minute/two-minute format, throw questions at them, and then hold up a stop sign, the people I saw up there did not AT ALL seem like the people I know. Not even close. There were a couple of exceptions, but it breaks my heart that people are making their decisions for our future based on what they see at a forum such as the one at SWHS last night.

I'll be at Red Bay, but I am not sure I'll be able to handle another moderated forum for a while. :roll:
I haven't dated any of them:floor: but I do know most of them. With only one or two exceptions, these are all really good people.:clap: But at each of the forums they all look and act like dime store indians. ( dated myself there didn't I :lol:) They look miserable and do not express their ideas very well. The sad thing about the Sheriff's race is that these guys are making Ralph look good.:angry: I agree with shallows, I don't think I can stand anymore.:bang:
 
I neglected to make one point, SN, I am sure is at least considerable. While the format was timed and of a distraction to the presenter, it was an equal distraction to all. More importantly, it showed the ability of the different candidates to think on their feet and respond extemporaneously. How one presents themselive to a public forum is an important attribute. It can also give some indication of how they will react in a split second emergency situation. Will their's be a "knee jerk" reaction or one brought about by years of training and education, automatic in its correct response.
Just one person's opinion.
 
Good point. Speaking only for myself, I am looking for reasonably quick, but thoughtful and calm reactions. We all know what the answers are and in most cases the answer is the same; how they say it and clues to individual personalities is what we should be paying attention to.

Speaking of, wonder how the Darlington "shoot-out" is going? A video of that, that we could all watch in the comfort of our air-conditioned homes, would be a treat. :cool:
 
Good point. Speaking only for myself, I am looking for reasonably quick, but thoughtful and calm reactions. We all know what the answers are and in most cases the answer is the same; how they say it and clues to individual personalities is what we should be paying attention to.

Speaking of, wonder how the Darlington "shoot-out" is going? A video of that, that we could all watch in the comfort of our air-conditioned homes, would be a treat. :cool:
Once again, we agree on all points.
 
The Darlington "shoot-out" was an outstanding forum, yes it was warm, but great audience participation, noone left early, it was probably one of the better forums that have been held so far. Mr Johnson was a no-show. My opinion the top two were Mr Adkinson and Mr Cooper the bottom three Mr Brown, Mr Corman with Mr Wise .
 
Political Forums August 11 and 12

TV 24 will be hosting a political forum on Monday August 11 and Tuesday August 12. The schedule is as follows:

Monday August 11
Sheriff Candidates 7 PM
School Board Candidates 8 PM

Tuesday August 12
Commissioner Candidates 7 PM
Supt. of Schools Cadidates 8 PM

The forum will be live on TV 24 and is free and open to the public.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top