• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rancid

New posts

6thGen

Beach Fanatic
Just curious your thoughts on passing wealth. If you responded, I apologize that I missed it. Do you believe that the state should control how wealth is transferred over generations or do you believe that people should be able to choose what to do with their possessions? Here is the topic.

Originally Posted by rancid
6th Gen, where do you stand on inheritance taxes and issues regarding passing wealth to subsequent generations?
Do you feel heirs have a right to the fruit of their ancestors' labor or should they start on an even playing field with everyone else?

Me: I believe that a person is entitled to do whatever he wishes with the fruits of his or her labor. They can pass it to their heirs, they can give it to charity, they can set up an endowment, they can even offer it to the state. I don?t believe that the state is entitled to forcibly take what they have earned and distribute it as the state sees fit.
 
Just curious your thoughts on passing wealth. If you responded, I apologize that I missed it. Do you believe that the state should control how wealth is transferred over generations or do you believe that people should be able to choose what to do with their possessions? Here is the topic.

Originally Posted by rancid
6th Gen, where do you stand on inheritance taxes and issues regarding passing wealth to subsequent generations?
Do you feel heirs have a right to the fruit of their ancestors' labor or should they start on an even playing field with everyone else?

Me: I believe that a person is entitled to do whatever he wishes with the fruits of his or her labor. They can pass it to their heirs, they can give it to charity, they can set up an endowment, they can even offer it to the state. I don?t believe that the state is entitled to forcibly take what they have earned and distribute it as the state sees fit.

I agree with you that the government should not get the fruit of ones labor at death. I would like to inherit family wealth as much as the next.

What I was leading to ( which you nimbly avoided ) was the disadvantages that many start with even in this country. I believe this was involving the American Indian debate somewhere else on the site.
I thought from your answers about white guilt and helping Indians that you may believe others should not get an unfair start in life with a fat inheritance.

My point ,which someone else was trying to make to you , is that the playing field is not even and we should constantly try to make it even .

I am well aware of personal responsibility and individuals who have suceeded coming from very difficult beginnings but to use these examples as rationale to withdraw further help to Indians or any poorer group of Americans is wrong in my opinion.

To summarize my rather long answer : Inheritance--good
Help for underpriviledged-- also good
 
I agree with you that the government should not get the fruit of ones labor at death. I would like to inherit family wealth as much as the next.

What I was leading to ( which you nimbly avoided ) was the disadvantages that many start with even in this country. I believe this was involving the American Indian debate somewhere else on the site.
I thought from your answers about white guilt and helping Indians that you may believe others should not get an unfair start in life with a fat inheritance.

My point ,which someone else was trying to make to you , is that the playing field is not even and we should constantly try to make it even .

I am well aware of personal responsibility and individuals who have suceeded coming from very difficult beginnings but to use these examples as rationale to withdraw further help to Indians or any poorer group of Americans is wrong in my opinion.

To summarize my rather long answer : Inheritance--good
Help for underpriviledged-- also good

Alright then. How do you suggest leveling the playing field while allowing the Vanderbilt children to keep their parents' money? Who is the "we" you mention to help the Indians and how do you suggest the we get together?
 
Speaking of the Vanderbilt family, did you know that George had Biltmore Estate, designed and built, faster than Hwy 98, between Sandestin and PCB, was constructed? :shock: They didn't putz around back then, nor did they have big yellow equipment.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top