• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Random Freeport question.

New posts

olive

Beach Fanatic
I have been meaning to ask this for a long time......

i live in Freeport and cross the bridge everyday. When you get to the top of the bridge you can see on the north shore to the left above the treeline a white building with a curved roof. What is it?:idontno:

I like to imagine it's where Eglin keeps their UFOs!:biggrin:
 
If i am not mistaken it is the "climatological" research building at EFB.
 
The climate lab is in the middle of base proper. The building you see from the 331bridge is their space tracking compound. If it's orbiting the Earth and bigger than a screwdriver, the people who work there can tell you what and where it is at any given time. You can actually get on some of the base roads NW of Freeport and drive right past the complex.
 
It is Eglin's Site C-6, which is north of Portland. If you drive out Hwy 20 to Portland and turn right by the Portland Methodist Church, keep going and you will go by it. Then turn right and you will come out on 331 near Rock Hill.

The reverse directions work well too. :cool: And you would be amazed if you knew the number of people that work civil service out there, in the middle of the night!
 
ooooooo.....sounds like a field trip.....:ninja:
 
Hmmmm. If they can see a screwdriver orbiting Earth, wonder what they might see around here if they just redirect their viewfinder? :cool:
 
Cool! So I actually asn't TOO far off!:biggrin:
 
Could be either, really; although, I suspect it's the tracking station. Heading north, if you are looking straight out across the bay towards Destin you are seeing the climate hangar...

climate.jpg


If you are looking more of a northwesterly direction, you are seeing the tracking station...

tracking.jpg


The hangar is the prominent feature of the base when you look across from Destin or Okaloosa Island, but I think it's too small to really be seen from the bridge. I've never seen it. I vote for the tracking station...
 
I've done a bunch of racing on base proper, and I can confirm that the Climate Lab is like right there on the bike course/ old Gate to Gate run course and definitely not in Freeport.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top