• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Raw oysters SOWAL

New posts
JB said:
I think that is pretty much an old wives tale. My understanding is the "R" rule originated before the days of ice and refrigeration, so naturally the "R" months were cooler in nature, so the oysters kept better. But many people still swear by it.

However, I DO think oysters harvested in colder water are better. They seem to be bigger, more salty, etc.

I certainly don't think it is unsafe to eat a raw oyster in the middle of the summer. (unless you have a compromised immune system, in which case you shouldn't eat them anyway, regardless of the month).
The ice and refridgeration are definitely important factors in the months-without-R, but also playing an important role is the FDA (or is it USDA?) oversight of oyster harveting.
 
Smiling JOe said:
The ice and refridgeration are definitely important factors in the months-without-R, but also playing an important role is the FDA (or is it USDA?) oversight of oyster harveting.

I think this usually falls under the state department of agriculture, but the real policing is by the oystermen themselves. The outbreak of foodborne illness makes great news fodder and does serious longterm damage to an already fragile industry.
 
steeleing1 said:
Dusty's in Panama City Beach has good oysters (and local flavor). It's on Front Beach Road just past the Hwy. 79 intersection.

And cold, cold Budweisers! The oysters are so good a few years back I ate there for lunch 3 days in a row while on vacation in Panama City Beach. I averaged about 8 dozen a sitting, (they actually give you a bakers dozen, 13) and quite a few cold brewskies. I am a raw oyster fanatic and these were dandy.
 
KentuckyBoy said:
And cold, cold Budweisers! The oysters are so good a few years back I ate there for lunch 3 days in a row while on vacation in Panama City Beach. I averaged about 8 dozen a sitting, (they actually give you a bakers dozen, 13) and quite a few cold brewskies. I am a raw oyster fanatic and these were dandy.

sounds yummmmmmyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!:D
 
FWIW
If y'all ever find yourselves out in my neck of the woods, the Indian Pass Raw Bar is *almost* open. They are hoping for mid-July. He's done a heck of a lot to the place, I sure am looking forward to going there.
Indian Pass Raw Bar
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top