• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Recycling-bottom line?

New posts
Rapunzel had to listen to me brag on my recycling efforts tonight. I deposited a mess of plastic jugs, bottles, coffee lids, bags and cans into one of the blue trailers this evening. She told me it was a waste of time as it all gets dumped since nobody is around to sort it. So what is the bottom line on our recycling efforts-I thought the status of the program was such that the blue bags were kind of hit or miss but the stuff that makes it into the trailers is bound for reincarnation. Anyone?:idontno:
 
If you ever have the pleasure of going to the county dump in the northern part of the county, towards DFS, you can see the recycling process. Prisoners go thru the recycle trailers and sort the stuff, then a bucket loader comes and picks it up and puts it in the garbage heap with all the other garbage.
 
If you ever have the pleasure of going to the county dump in the northern part of the county, towards DFS, you can see the recycling process. Prisoners go thru the recycle trailers and sort the stuff, then a bucket loader comes and picks it up and puts it in the garbage heap with all the other garbage.

Seriously? Have you seen this yourself? :bang:
 
Rapunzel had to listen to me brag on my recycling efforts tonight. I deposited a mess of plastic jugs, bottles, coffee lids, bags and cans into one of the blue trailers this evening. She told me it was a waste of time as it all gets dumped since nobody is around to sort it. So what is the bottom line on our recycling efforts-I thought the status of the program was such that the blue bags were kind of hit or miss but the stuff that makes it into the trailers is bound for reincarnation. Anyone?:idontno:

I called the landfill - (850) 892-8180.

The newspaper and cardboard goes to Dothan (Waste Recyclers I think she said). Aluminum and metal goes to Wise in Pensacola. Plastic is kept seperate until they have a "full load" then they find somewhere to sell it. Glass is currently just seperated but not in a recycle rotation. They are working on that. That's what I was told and I believe it.
 
Thank you for checking!

I was about to hit the roof if my recyclables weren't being recycled - talk about a pucking "happy earth day"! :bang:
 
You should be sure to really shred any sensitive materials. The trash is sorted by Walton county inmates. No need to tempt those already down on their luck.
 
Would it help make the process more efficient if we had stickers that people could put on trash bags to show that the recyclables had already been removed? :idontno:

That would save them sorting about 100 bags a year just from my "household" with its rather limited garbage production. :biggrin:
 
Would it help make the process more efficient if we had stickers that people could put on trash bags to show that the recyclables had already been removed? :idontno:

That would save them sorting about 100 bags a year just from my "household" with its rather limited garbage production. :biggrin:

That's a good idea. :clap:
Now that you mention it I wouldn't mind writing something on the outside of the bag with a Sharpie. I already keep one in the kitchen to mark freezer packages.

Since I started regularly recycling and composting, I have about a half kitchen bag full a week of regular garbage.
 
They could just add stickers at the blue bag locations. Very low-tech/low cost.

I figured it's a win-win. The recycling program saves man hours by not having to pick through trash that's already been culled and people who sort their trash get the added bonus of not having convicts digging in their garbage. :cool:
 
This past year, my little town in Georgia began mandatory recycling. The city provides a recycling container along with our trash one. The WILL NOT pick up our garbage unless the recycling container is also placed beside the road. I believe that the City actually sells the recycling loot, which generates revenue for the city. I was instantly excited, as I have always said that we needed to do more recycling as a family. Several raised serious objections, but I think that it has all worked out!!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top