• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Red Tide?

New posts
Yippie, you can't really go by the samples and the state's website. I've seen it that we had really bad red tide here, no question about it, and the samples just were not taken in the right place so officially it didn't exist. Also there is a time lag. By the time the samples get analyzed it might very well have blown elsewhere. If Mr Surf is correct, it's out there, but it isn't here, or at least it wasn't today.
Just ask me or Uncle Timmy, I'm the other canary. My throat closes up instantly with just the tiniest whiff. I spent an hour in the water today and there was no red tide. But see, it can change with the wind, here today and gone tomorrow, like the jelly fish, or gone today and here
tomorrow. :chill:
 
FWIW
I know we are in a completely different area, but...
Something's happening over in my neck of the woods, as well.
Went to the beach yesterday morning, did not smell anything at all, but saw lots of dead fish. Then Elwood (the dog) began sneezing. Then I began sneezing and coughing. More dead fish. It dawned on me (along with the rising sun) that something funny was going on.
There was a very minor blurb about it in the local paper, but now, online, it has been updated and is being referred to as Red Tide
 
don't eat bivalves.... "Both mild gastrointestinal and neurological symptoms occur .".....what is a mild neurological symptom???....:eek:
 
Yippie, you can't really go by the samples and the state's website. I've seen it that we had really bad red tide here, no question about it, and the samples just were not taken in the right place so officially it didn't exist. Also there is a time lag. By the time the samples get analyzed it might very well have blown elsewhere. If Mr Surf is correct, it's out there, but it isn't here, or at least it wasn't today.
Just ask me or Uncle Timmy, I'm the other canary. My throat closes up instantly with just the tiniest whiff. I spent an hour in the water today and there was no red tide. But see, it can change with the wind, here today and gone tomorrow, like the jelly fish, or gone today and here
tomorrow. :chill:

I haven't felt the effect yet. I hope it doesn't make it close to shore.

BTW - Did your cat pose with that lime on it's head? LOL Pool thing.... :funn:
 
I was outside in Alys Beach for awhile today and didn't notice anything. An hour later in Rosemary Beach I detected a touch of the Red Tide.
 
I live in Seagrove and my throat has felt scratchy for the last few days. :idontno:

No other signs of being sick - so I have to wonder if there is a little bit of Red Tide floating around.

Thought I would share. :wave:
 
BTW - Did your cat pose with that lime on it's head? LOL Pool thing....
No, my cats are far too dignified, they would never allow it. :cool:
That picture has been floating around the internet for a while.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top