• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Religulous

New posts
I wanted to see it but was worried it wouldn't play here. I can't say I blame the theater management;who wants a big protest in front of their business?:bang:

guess you will have to come to the Big Easy to see it. :idontno::wave:
 
Well it says the area is comprised of a majority of Christians--some of whom may be offended, and there may, frankly, not be the audience to support it. I think it is that simple, pure economics. I don't think there would be any mass demonstations and picketing though.
I was amazed that Brokeback Mountain made it to Destin (but Destin seems to be getting a bit more sophisticated).

Challenging peoples faith in NW Florida is like challenging their political ideology. It would be like Muslims suddenly embracing Christianity--yes, could happen, but not likely in our lifetime. Live and let live.

PS: I would go though--Bill Maher is amazing!


Does anyone know why Christians feel they have some special right not to be offended? There are things that offend us all as individuals and as groups, but we don"t ask that laws be passed, rules be put in place or behavior be altered just because we're offended, we live with it as part of a free America.
 
Does anyone know why Christians feel they have some special right not to be offended? Why would you say that Christians feel that they have some special right not to be offended? There are things that offend us all as individuals and as groups, but we don"t ask that laws be passed, Think again, there are many groups that have wanted things to be changed, they have picketed, the ACLU has been called in...etc etc Rules have been set in plance by non-Christians:wave:. rules be put in place or behavior be altered just because we're offended, we live with it as part of a free America.
.
 
I have absolutely no respect for Bill Maher. He is like the middle school bully who makes fun of everyone different than himself so he will have a better self image. This movie is a blaring example of how Maher (and by association the audience that supports him), who claims to be a proponent of tolerance, has really a very limited tolerance for differences. The movie also is a blaring example of how the Left welcomes and supports bigotry.

The movie may be funny to those who share Maher's anti-religious views, but to a middle schooler, like Maher, making fun of disabled children is funny too. Bill Maher is welcome to live in his world of adolescence, but I'm content to stick with my grown up view of the world. His questionable editing tactics and limited "experts" of the different religions prove what a shallow and manipulative person that he is.
 
Does anyone know why Christians feel they have some special right not to be offended? There are things that offend us all as individuals and as groups, but we don"t ask that laws be passed, rules be put in place or behavior be altered just because we're offended, we live with it as part of a free America.
The above group does not welcome any examination of the basis of their faith, and their determination to "save" others.
 
Gulf Breeze has a theatre that sometimes gets independent politically provocative films, though they may not get this one. I wonder if "W." will be showing when it opens in the next couple of weeks?
 
I have absolutely no respect for Bill Maher. He is like the middle school bully who makes fun of everyone different than himself so he will have a better self image. This movie is a blaring example of how Maher (and by association the audience that supports him), who claims to be a proponent of tolerance, has really a very limited tolerance for differences. The movie also is a blaring example of how the Left welcomes and supports bigotry.

The movie may be funny to those who share Maher's anti-religious views, but to a middle schooler, like Maher, making fun of disabled children is funny too. Bill Maher is welcome to live in his world of adolescence, but I'm content to stick with my grown up view of the world. His questionable editing tactics and limited "experts" of the different religions prove what a shallow and manipulative person that he is.

CCK,
Maher is tolerant of others. His ongoing thesis isn't that he takes issue with religious beliefs per se. It is that he has issue with folks doing crazy things because of them. He wants elected leaders to think their way through decisions rather than praying their way through them. He finds it scary that religion is so pervasive...

Consider this. Who is more tolerated around here? Someone walking around openly discussing their Christian beliefs or someone walking around discussing their atheist beliefs? What about someone walking around discussing their Muslim beliefs?

Maher's beliefs (or lack thereof) represent a silent minority in this country who dare not speak out too loudly...
 
Last edited:
The above group does not welcome any examination of the basis of their faith, and their determination to "save" others.

I'm sure it's a huge Christian conspiracy not to show the movie. It surely has nothing to do with the fact that not enough people will go see it to make it profitable.
 
I'm sure it's a huge Christian conspiracy not to show the movie. It surely has nothing to do with the fact that not enough people will go see it to make it profitable.

I suspect that there are many films being shown in this area that would gross less than Maher's film would. I am not crying conspiracy here but Josh-

I have heard that Fahrenheit 911 was hardly shown in this area. That thing was a blockbuster. So the choice to exclude it locally was surely not based on economics but rather based on subject matter. No? I personally think so...

So it probably is not a stretch to say that the subject matter of Maher's film kept it out of some local theaters...

:idontno:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top