• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Renter's Insurance

New posts

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
I'm looking for some renter's insurance. Never had it before and I don't have much, but what I do have is important. Any suggestions? Thanks.
 
One of the few companies I found that would do renter's insurance in a hurricane zone was Assurant.

Not very $, can't say much more about them as I've luckily never had to make a claim.
 
The cost of renter's insurance is pretty much driven by the amount of contents you need to insure. If you have an accurate estimate for the value of all your contents (all your belongings, furniture, clothing, collections, electronics). Some contents may require separate coverage depending on the value of the items. For example, jewelry and fine arts may have limitations on the policy. Jewelry is commonly limited to $2,500 on policies and many other policies may offer less coverage. You may be in need of a collections or jewelry "rider" to accomodate for high valued items or large collections.

Liability is included and the coverage amount can be manipulated if necessary. Companies offer a number of deductible options ranging from $250 to $5000. Normally I advocate taking large deductible on Homeowner's contracts, but for a renter, take a deductible that is on the lower side. $500 to $1000 is a good range. You also may receive discounts for having a doorman, alarm system and/or surveillance cameras.
 
Last edited:
Thank you both for the information. I appreciate it.
 
I use USAA, but I know Geico offers it as well as Allstate and other national companies. It's fairly inexpensive. I currently pay less than $100 a year for mine.

Good luck!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top