The Lake inlet was crystal clear yesterday, and the depths vary from shallow to very shallow, making it better than a man-made water park. -- absolutely gorgeous!
The rip currents, tied with many people's inability to make good judgments of whether or not they should go into the water, made for a stressful and hectic four-day holiday weekend for SoWal Lifeguards and rescue crews.
I was a little surprised to see a TDC commercial on the Beach Flag System the other day. I've seen them before, but this was the first time I heard the adult telling the kids, that only strong swimmers should go into the water when Red Flags are flying. If a strong swimmer doesn't understand rip currents, they too, can drown. I know what they are trying to say, but I think the message may be miscommunicated.
SWFD Lifeguard Director, Gary Wise is indeed a busy-sounding man. I think we all need to pay close attention to what he and his lifeguard crews are saying. This man has performed many, many rescues right here in South Walton. We are extremely lucky to have him heading this team of people who are attempting to help educate our beach-goers on safety and sometimes, even saving their lives. Gary is interested in helping to educate this community, and getting some community support and feedback on how to improve on the current system. Thanks again, Gary and to all of your crew!
For those new members who might not know anything about Gary (and I know very little, but the little I've heard says so much), I'll share the first story I read about Gary Wise. Back around 2005, there was a girl who was bitten by a shark in Miramar Beach. As I recall the story, Gary, who I don't think was a SoWal Lifeguard at the time, was at the beach and saw the girl in trouble. He grabbed his surfboard and paddled out to the girl who was surrounded in a cloud of her own blood from the bite. He pulled her onto his board and paddled back to shore. (I seem to remember hearing that he had to punch the shark a few times, as he was trying to retrieve the girl.) I think the girl later died from too much blood loss. Regardless, I've asked myself many times if I had the courage to do something like that, and while I like to hope I do, there is still a big "?," as to how I might react. I doubt Gary thought twice about it. That is just what he does.