• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Ripley TN tomatoes

New posts

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
I just got back from the second Memphis trip this month. On the way out of town, the mandatory stop at Easy Way Produce yielded a dozen Ripley tomatoes. Oh Boy! None finer! :clap:

I think it's time we SoWallers organized a truck to Memphis this time every year. Or maybe FedEx? :biggrin:
 
Just what is an heirloom tomato? We had some at dinner last night and they were heavenly.
 
Just what is an heirloom tomato? We had some at dinner last night and they were heavenly.
Well, some say the seeds have to be 100 yrs old others say the seeds have to date back to post WWII or 1945. They are usually tomatoes whose seeds that have been handed down several generations.:D There are hundreds of varieties out there.
 
I have a farmer bringing me Tennessee tomatoes this week. Call me 231-0007 and make sure they are here. Thanks Toni
 
The Ripleys are almost all gone. Get 'em while you can.

What I really miss are Creole tomatoes.:wub:

Yeah, with Miracle Whip on white Wonder Bread.
 
Tennessee tomatoes are here, also all the fresh peas you can want, yellowmeat watermelon, beautiful just picked Alabama peaches, I was standing there when the farmer pulled in, white sweeeeet corn Ray tryed it out last night. Also beautiful just picked okra, oh yeah green peanuts for all you boilers:) Thanks Toni
 
Gosh, had no idea the tomatoes were so famous as to even be known in SoWal. My home is about 12 miles from Ripley and my Aunt still grows some of those famous tomatoes.

If fact today when I was reading the BLT story, made me think of my GrandDad, he raised tomatoes near Ripley for market to large Memphis stores and even to send to Dallas for years when I was growing up.

The kulls were the ones when you were packing that you threw away, as they had a blemish on them. However to us in the family; they were the best ever and we got all we wanted and canned them like crazy. I grew up eating Ripley tomatoes, fresh right out in the back yard, dirt and all. My Mom has photos of us when we could hardly walk as toddlers in the tomato patch with tomatoes all over us.

Good stuff.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top