• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Riptides

New posts
After checking the flags, my method is to stand in the water's edge and see how much sand gets sucked out from under my feet. If it's enough to change my balance, no swimming, just wading/playing.
 
I for one appreciate this information from people who are knowledgeable on this subject. I don't go to the beach very often right now, but when my girls get a little bigger, the information you all have shared here will help me and hopefully others who aren't particulartly "beach smart"

Thanks for this!
 
080526-seaside-231.jpg


I just stole this from Kurt's Jazz festival at Seaside pics :blush:, but it shows clearly two sets of horns and cusps where rip currents set-up. Look where the couple is walking (lady in blue shirt). They are very close to a "horn" and their is a cusp with behind them. Then there is a horn with a little boy playing on it, then cusp, horn, etc..

Remember that those cut-backs/cusps are the place where rip currents set-up.
 
Also here is the National Weather Services forecast/outlook page for rip currents so that you can arm yourself with the current information before you go out.

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/forecasts.shtml

Just because its not red flags doesn't mean there are not rips....
 
We have Riptide 101 (with diagrams) the first beach day we're down every year, but I'm wondering, just how hard is it to adjust your body to swim sideways away from one? Do most people who have fatal encounters with a rip know what to do but panic? or do they not know how to swim out of one and just keep swimming forward? or do they know HOW to swim out of one but can't because it is physically almost impossible to swim sideways when caught in it?

I have a real fear of these. I have night terrors where my boys are swimming in very calm waters. I'm on shore watching and the tide rips them out to sea and I am standing on the beach totally alone unable to scream for help. The kind of nightmare where you wake up sobbing :cry:
 
We have Riptide 101 (with diagrams) the first beach day we're down every year, but I'm wondering, just how hard is it to adjust your body to swim sideways away from one? Do most people who have fatal encounters with a rip know what to do but panic? or do they not know how to swim out of one and just keep swimming forward? or do they know HOW to swim out of one but can't because it is physically almost impossible to swim sideways when caught in it?

I have a real fear of these. I have night terrors where my boys are swimming in very calm waters. I'm on shore watching and the tide rips them out to sea and I am standing on the beach totally alone unable to scream for help. The kind of nightmare where you wake up sobbing :cry:

When the waters are calm the rip tides are no big deal. When the waters get a little churned up it can become a little tricky. A good rule of thumb for the family is to never allow them in the water without a flotation device attached to their body. The best flotation would be a boogie board. This way, they are having funn catching waves and you don't have to worry as much. I have yet to see anyone get in trouble being attached to something that floats.
 
Actually there is no such thing as either, they were made up by the media years ago. They are really called Runouts but in the age of Jim Cantore they ran with it!

We called them rip tides before James Cantore.............and the Weather Channel.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top