• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Robert 'Bob' Hudson Introduction

New posts
At this point, at least Bob seems to not be making money off the backs of the citizens by running, nor does he seem to be on the take.
 
Also he shows up at meetings even though he isn't elected yet - probably has a better attendance rate than some elected officials! ;-)

He also gets points for being able to make a cohesive argument/post and using punctuation so it is readable.

All biggies IMO! :biggrin:
 
Yes , I am the individual that spoke before the County Commission after the organizer of the SeaBreeze Jazz festival had already signed a contract to move the venue to Bay County. I was asked by the County Administrator to discuss the issue of enforcement of the parking regulations and sound ordinance brought up within our neighborhood association. I spoke on their behalf when we were informed by the Code Enforcement Department that the venue operator had not applied for the necessary permit to exclude the event from enforcement of the sound level provision of the sound ordinance and had no plan for parking that had been approved and that they were leary of enforcing the provisions without the Commissions input. All 5 voted to ask the Planning Department to work with the operator of the event to resolve those issues.

I clearly explained the neighborhood's concern over the advertisement that appeared in the paper stating that people should park on the bike path on 393. (The prior year people were forced to literally park on grave sites in Gulf Place Cemetary)

As the event has grown each year the lack of parking sufficient to accomodate the increasing crowd and the increasing sound levels has become an issue with neighboring citizens. ( Sound levels 1/2 mile away were recorded at 94 decibels last year)

I have enjoyed the festival in person for many years. The real issue here is the lack of an adequate venue for events such as this. Tourists and local people enjoy and expect events such as the Jazz Festival. Regretfully we have not had a vision to provide an adequate site for these events.

The truth is simple - the Seabreeze Jazz festival outgrew the venue and the sponsor was forced to seek a location that would allow for the event to continue to grow. Poor planning on someone's part in my opinion to not locate and build a venue in Walton County.

This is a cop out comment. I live in BMB myself, just inside the BMB line in fact. You did not want the Jazz Festival here and you helped run the Jazz Festival off. End of story.

Why don't you just call a spade a spade? By the way, I am in the district you want to be Commissioner over and you will not have my family's, business associates, friends or my support as a result. That is a lot of votes so good luck with your campaign.

PS The Carters who own the Seabreeze Radio station are in your district too, I believe. Karma is a tough thing Bob.
 
I'm certainly not blaming you for the move of the Jazz Festival and I don't disagree with the size issue of the venue. But many people are aware of how you conducted yourself during the whole event and I for one am certainly unimpressed. As far as permitting goes, no event has ever had to have one until this years Jazz Fest and there hasn't been one issued since. Yet, there are still festivals in this area nearly every weekend that fall under the same guidlines. Why haven't you made sure that all of those events have been brought up to code? Does the upcoming Seaside Jazz Festival have all of the proper permits? Have you checked? I bet not, because it is not in your back yard and you aren't concerned. I personally don't know whether the SSJF has everything in order but again, I haven't appointed myself as a watchdog of that sort of thing nor do I have political aspirations.

All I'm saying is this, if you are going to work so hard to make sure that one group tows the line for whatever reason, then you should at least be fair about it. If you want to be a politico then let us know that you will do a good job by being evenhanded and not just serving your own needs.

Well said. Sorry but I think Bob is way trying to sugarcoat how he handled his opposition to Jazzfest. Bob clearly did NOT want it here and now because he wants to get elected has changed his story about how his opposition was presented.
 
Well said. Sorry but I think Bob is way trying to sugarcoat how he handled his opposition to Jazzfest. Bob clearly did NOT want it here and now because he wants to get elected has changed his story about how his opposition was presented.

That is the first time I have ever been accused of "sugarcoating" anything. I have to chuckle just a bit at that.

Bob clearly stated in his comments to the Commission his understanding of the economic value of the event and tourism in Walton County.
 
Regretfully we have not had a vision to provide an adequate site for these events.

Poor planning on someone's part in my opinion to not locate and build a venue in Walton County.

Maybe you have not had the vision, but many people have had the vision. The problem has been funding the vision.
 
Brings up a good point and one I've been moaning about for a long time. Why the heck doesn't the County allow public school property to be used for such events? There is ample space for seating, ample parking, restrooms, concessions, etc. So please, tell me why we don't share. The tax payers pay for that property and it sits unused otherwise for these weekend events. IMO, the property should be open to the public for recreational use. I've seen it happen in other places, and it works very well, and saves the County money by not having to double up on recreational parks. With south Walton being in such desperate need for such facilities, it seems so blatantly obvious to me.
 
Brings up a good point and one I've been moaning about for a long time. Why the heck doesn't the County allow public school property to be used for such events? There is ample space for seating, ample parking, restrooms, concessions, etc. So please, tell me why we don't share. The tax payers pay for that property and it sits unused otherwise for these weekend events. IMO, the property should be open to the public for recreational use. I've seen it happen in other places, and it works very well, and saves the County money by not having to double up on recreational parks. With south Walton being in such desperate need for such facilities, it seems so blatantly obvious to me.

I know one issue is the prohibition of alcohol on school property.
 
There is a prohibition of alcohol on school property. That rule was made why? To keep underage kids from drinking? Or, to keep parents from drinking at games, so they don't get rowdy and disgrace their kids? I'm not sure, but seeing as how such events are not school-affiliated, I think they could lift the prohibition temporarily during the events, without negatively influencing our youth regarding drinking alcohol.

Seeing as how that property is surrounded mostly by other County property, I doubt noise would be a big factor at that location, and it is centrally located. Something as simple as temporarily suspending an irrelevant rule, should not stand in the way.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top