• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Rosh HaShanah (New Year) Gathering!

New posts

melissa r

Beach Crab
Rosh HaShanah Gathering
Friday, September 22nd
Rosemary Beach Town Hall 6-7pm
Jewish Families of South Walton County are gathering to celebrate the Jewish New Year- Candlelighting, Wine, Challah, Apples and Honey. Open to All. For more information call Caroline 850-830-8448.​
 
Rosh HaShanah is a nice holiday. If I was there, I'd go and eat lots of food with apples and honey. We get to throw all our sins from the past year into the ocean/water during the Jewish New Year at some point, and then start the new year fresh.
 
Apples on a stick dipped in good caramel and then covered with top quality semi-sweet chocolate and nuts...

Apple Strudel! (sp?)

Apple pudding!
 
this looks like a wonderful fall gathering. tell me more about rosh hashanah... :D

My closest friends are all Jewish. I believe it's the Jewish New Year and also a time for renewal of vows, and spirit. It also is a time to cast off one's sins, usually by going to a river, ocean, stream etc.

The apple's or bread dipped in honey symbolize a sweet New Year.
Seems like a lovely holiday.

Qoute me if I am wrong about the holiday?

All my Jewish friends have come to my home on Xmas Eve, but I am still waiting for an invite from them for Rosh Hashana. :idontno: Maybe they are afraid they will be by the water all day with me casting off my sins. :lol:
 
Maybe they are afraid they will be by the water all day with me casting off my sins.
lol Mango
Rosh Hashanah ushers in the High Holy Days,the Days of Awe, maybe that's why your Jewish friends have not invited you over for a break-the-fast dinner or whatever. "Rosh" means head, indeed it is the Jewish new year, and yes, the apples and honey symbolize thewish for a sweet new year.
The High Holy Days are a time of self-examination. Yom Kippur comes after Rosh Hashanah: it involves fasting, repentance and prayer, and it is a time of reconciliation, a Day of Atonement.
Maybe someday they will invite you for a Passover dinner?

I learned all this stuff after I married a Jewish guy.
I grew up as a nice bland Episcopalian on Long Island, and can still throw together a scrumptious Christmas Eve dinner. ;-)
 
lol Mango
I learned all this stuff after I married a Jewish guy.
I grew up as a nice bland Episcopalian on Long Island, and can still throw together a scrumptious Christmas Eve dinner. ;-)

My best friends from when I went to NYU are mixed religions. He's Jewish and she is an Irish Catholic girl. They celebrate all the holidays. There are so many similar threads in all religions. I have found the Jewish religion to be quite interesting.
 
My best friends from when I went to NYU are mixed religions. He's Jewish and she is an Irish Catholic girl. They celebrate all the holidays. There are so many similar threads in all religions. I have found the Jewish religion to be quite interesting.


I agree Mango.. I love that the meanings of the Jewish holidays are more of a personal nature (I especially like Yom Kippur) and focus on changes within oneself and improving our relations with others.
 
My best friends from when I went to NYU are mixed religions. He's Jewish and she is an Irish Catholic girl. They celebrate all the holidays. There are so many similar threads in all religions. I have found the Jewish religion to be quite interesting.


I have friends and family who have done the same - celebrating both Jewish and Christian traditions - usually not from a very religious standpoint, but bringing together and celebrating family traditions... plus, we have enjoyed being included in some of our jewish family/friends traditions. Love learning more about such an ancient and wise and wonderful culture of life and religion.

Two books I've enjoyed (and I know some of you have too) reading and learning much about jewish history and culture... The Red Tent, and A Thread of Grace (thanks to paula for lending me this great book which chronicles the Italian resistance to the Germans during the last two years of WWII - a story of Italians, Italian Jews and Jewish refugees).

can anyone recommend other books?
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top