• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sarawind's Tortilla Soup

New posts

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Sarawind, we made your tortilla soup recipe in the slow cooker for the Christmas Eve meal and it is a winner that will become a regular at our house in both places. This is the easiest and tastiest soup ever! Sarawind, if you have not seen the movie "Tortilla Soup," run, don't walk to your DVD rental house. You will love it. We served this soup with a lot of toppings: chilies, cheddar cheese, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, avacado slices, green onions, and extra tortilla chips. (Those giant bags of tortilla chips at WaterColor Market are the best I've ever had.) We made a salad of spinach, red onion rings, avacado slices, and Texas ruby red grapefruit sections to serve with the soup and made flan for dessert. My family was so happy with this simple meal. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us on this Board and let me know what you think of the movie, okay?
 
Do you mind posting the recipe again? I love tortilla soup and my homemade version I tried the other day didn't go over so well. :doh:
 
whiteyfunn said:
Do you mind posting the recipe again? I love tortilla soup and my homemade version I tried the other day didn't go over so well. :doh:

I want to try it to so I looked for the recipe. Here it is:

CROCK POT CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
1 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (I use more)
1 14 1/2 oz. can chicken broth
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. each, ground cumim, chili powder, salt.
1 tbs. chopped cilantro
1 can black beans
1 bay leaf
1 10 ox. pkg. frozen yellow corn
2 tbs olive oil
6 tortillas, corn or flour (option bite size tortilla chips)
grated cheese for garnish
sour cream for garnish
avocado for garnish

In crock pot, combine chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion,
green chiles, and garlic.
Add broth,(water if you have room) cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, bay leaf.

Stir in corn, beans and cilantro.
Cover and cook on low 6 -8 hours.

You can preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas
with oil. Cut tortillas into strips and spread onto baking sheet. Bake, turning
occasionally until crisp. We substitute store bought tortilla bite size chips. Just
as good and a time saver.

Ladle soup in bowl. Sprinkle with cheese, add a spoonful of sour cream, top with
couple chunks fresh avocado. Serve with tortilla chips or strips. Delish!!

Another time saver is to buy rotisserie chickens then cut off all the meat.

You can double this recipe easily. Do not double the ground cumim. It's too much.
 
OMG, how did you know that ever since Katie Blue posted about making tortilla soup, I've been jonesing for a recipe to try? This looks awesome!! Thanks for posting it Sarawind and Oceanlover, and thanks for the reviews Donna and jdarg!
 
TooFarTampa said:
OMG, how did you know that ever since Katie Blue posted about making tortilla soup, I've been jonesing for a recipe to try? This looks awesome!! Thanks for posting it Sarawind and Oceanlover, and thanks for the reviews Donna and jdarg!


Heading to the store to ge the stuff---it will be the one decent meal here all week since we are trying to starve ourselves!!
 
I made this soup back when it was first posted and it was SOOO good!
After reading this, I plan to make it again tonight. I didn't use the crockpot--just a big pot on the stove.
 
And here is yet another Tortilla Soup recipe.
This one takes a bit of prep, it's not as quick as the crock pot, but it's basically the same award-winning recipe as they used at Luna Del Mar...my favorite soup ever. Looks and tastes exactly the same. It was a hit at my NYE gathering.
Here is the link to the recipe at Food Network.
 
katie blue said:
And here is yet another Tortilla Soup recipe.
This one takes a bit of prep, it's not as quick as the crock pot, but it's basically the same award-winning recipe as they used at Luna Del Mar...my favorite soup ever. Looks and tastes exactly the same. It was a hit at my NYE gathering.
Here is the link to the recipe at Food Network.

Ohhh, thanks KB. Luna Del Mar ... miss it so much ... gotta try this one too. :clap_1: :wub:
 
TooFarTampa said:
Ohhh, thanks KB. Luna Del Mar ... miss it so much ... gotta try this one too. :clap_1: :wub:

Come visit me in Dallas and I will take you to Luna del Noche...where it all began!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top