Beachlover2
Beach Fanatic
Thanks for the info from everyone - that area is an accident waiting to happen. Too many cars - too many people - someone is going to get hit. Sounds like they are trying to make sure they do the right thing here.
One of those sweet little ladies mentioned that the beaches were one of God's creations. My thought was that if it was God's creation, it should continue to be enjoyed by anyone who wants to visit it. According to the both sides, Seascape has been allowing the public to use this stretch of beach for some length of time, yet now that the beach is replenished, they want it to be private. If the County illiminates the parking spaces, they will owe a check of $1.2 million back to the Fed Gov't, from which the County received money for renourishment of the beaches. Did I mention that the cost of both Options 1 and 3, the only two existing options for the new parking on the County's property, would be $300,000 to $400,000 less than it the check that they would have to write for removing existing parking? It is so. Also, the money loss wouldn't stop there. According to Mr Pickel, the County would no longer be able to receive future renourishment funding for that length of beach, and that amount could be extremely costly.
The issue is tabled until the County gets legal advice on who technically owns the beach. There will be some very shady gray areas on that issue, since Seascape has not prevented the public from using the property. In the state of Florida, Squatters' Rights exists, and this could get interesting. Regardless, the new parking doesn't need to be on the property of Seacrest. According to the County, it will fit within the existing right of way. There may need to be an easement from Seascape to allow a common boardwalk to enter the beach, rather than all of the cattle trails currently being used down the face of the dunes along that entire stretch. That will only help maintain the dunes and will be beneficial to all.
I don't want to rehash the private beach details of Walton County. It is a long story and vary greatly from property to property. The next meeting should be interesting.
If I were a voting commissioner, I would vote for Option 3.
I've been getting the distinct impression that SRI likes this idea and would grant easements, whatever, to get it done.![]()
Thanks for the correction regarding the State, not the Fed's, funding being involved.Also, Mr. Pickel stated it was state not federal funding that would have to be paid back. This would disallow future state and federal funding however for this stretch of beach.
Thanks for the correction regarding the State, not the Fed's, funding being involved.
I think you are on to something with the fact that SRI was not there, nor were their representatives. The green shirters and their attorney were present, but their attorney wasn't even able to give evidence that the beach, in front of the parking was private or public. I'm not sure why they even hired an attorney.
Especially when public beach access doesn't hurt them, it only increases the number of people to sell to.One of the Green shirters or their attorney mentioned that the beach vending on that small stretch of beach, rent to only guests and owners of Seascape (maybe Majestic Sun and Arial Dunes as well). I don't know if that is true or not.
I believe one of the County Commissioners mentioned that Whales Tail was formerly known as the Beach Club for SRI, so my guess is that it is likely owned by SRI.
Note that this area is outside of my area of knowledge, so I don't keep up with it.
