• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Scenic Gulf Drive

New posts
My solution..open all beach front property to the public..tear down those fences...make it open season for any beach goer in ALL of SoWal. Let them park anywhere to use the beach.
That would include all of you high rolling low risers on 30-A. QED.

You're not going to get a lot of argument on that one with this crowd. 30-A has great beach access - we go to different beaches all of the time, from Stallworth to Inlet Beach, and never have any problem parking or with crowds. We also have not one but three (or four, if you count Camp Helen just past the end of 30A) absolutely beautiful state parks with facilities. Between the state parks and the countless public access points, those of us who don't live smack dab on the ocean have many options for beachgoing. There will even be a new parking lot and facility built right between Seaside and Watercolor this summer, and so far I haven't heard any complaints.

Sure, there are a few homeowners, and homeowner's associations, which are trying to create "private" beaches on 30A, but even those usually have a public access nearby, and I really hope that we'll never lose the right to stroll the strand. I think then you would see some fireworks out of this crowd.
 
Hey jack..sounds like you need to convalesce in Jdarg's shack..let her feng shui soothe your tired mind.:wave:

dsilver, you quote out of context. It is part of the position. But it is better to hang in a shack with friends than in a mansion with adversaries.
 
That parking lot has been open for some length of time, already.

Yes, it has been, but since the Walton Sun reported on it a couple of weeks ago as though it were a brand new thing, I figured no one knew about it. :D

They are going to add "facilities", according to the Sun, and make it a full blown public access.
 
Yes, it has been, but since the Walton Sun reported on it a couple of weeks ago as though it were a brand new thing, I figured no one knew about it. :D

They are going to add "facilities", according to the Sun, and make it a full blown public access.

And most likely lifeguards in Summer 2008..
 
..I really hope that we'll never lose the right to stroll the strand. I think then you would see some fireworks out of this crowd.

Good,
May the Gods never allow us to Californicate SoWal.
Our beaches are our greatest public asset. My suggestion was not tongue-in-cheek.
However, in a perfect world, or at least in a world where members of this board inhabited the earth, we would see a decorum and a sense of order permeate the use of our beaches. We would be mindful of our intrusion with our automobiles, we would certainly never litter, and most of all be respectful of the rights of others using the beach. Thats the perfect world.

Welcome to the mayhem of scenic Hwy 98. Sure , I chose to live here and sure high density condo living increases the volume of people..thats no so bothersome. What is bothersome is the absolute disregard that people have that park beach side. Our condo hoards have our parking..we park in our lot and walk to the beach..and are assaulted by the crazy people parked there. That wont change with the county's plan. It will only get worse.
Now mix open container drinking with this picture.........

30-A is not an option for most people looking for a quick beach fix. They either have to pay the fees to enter the public beach parks or come on down to scenic Hwy 98..its free....never mind where you park or where you throw your garbage or if you are inebriated or where you defecate or urinate..there are no controls.
Dogs, college party animals, kids, hot women, insane people taking chances with their lives, huge crowds camped for days with their large throw-away canopies, vendors and yoga practitioners..all there trying to coexist with the rampant garbage and the cacophony of drunken vacationers.
Thats pretty much it..red neck Riviera? Terrible term..but the absolute lack of common decorum and manners is jaw dropping!
I'll stop my rant..and thanks for listening. Gee I feel better!! Time for another cup of tea.:blush:
 
30-A is not an option for most people looking for a quick beach fix. They either have to pay the fees to enter the public beach parks or come on down to scenic Hwy 98..its free....never mind where you park or where you throw your garbage or if you are inebriated or where you defecate or urinate..there are no controls.
Dogs, college party animals, kids, hot women, insane people taking chances with their lives, huge crowds camped for days with their large throw-away canopies, vendors and yoga practitioners..all there trying to coexist with the rampant garbage and the cacophony of drunken vacationers.
Thats pretty much it..red neck Riviera? Terrible term..but the absolute lack of common decorum and manners is jaw dropping!

Disilvar, I hear the frustration with uncaring beach goers in your posts. I think most SoWallers also have that similar frustration with these people, no matter if they are parking at the beach or on the Chattahoochie River on a tube. I don't agree with your thoughts that these people cannot visit the beaches along 30A without paying. Granted, there isn't much parking at the accesses along 30A, but they are free to the public. I think one major difference between Miramar and 30A is that 30A has open accesses located down the majority of the length of the road, and Old 98 in Miramar, has a fence or buildings, without public access. Therefore, the people who don't live within walking distance, drive, and find the only place where the public is not stopped from accessing the beach. That happens to be the Whales Tail area, which is presented in this parking lot scenerio. Please don't think these trashy people are found only on that stretch of beach. I think they may be concentrated heavily there, for the aforementioned reasons, but those people make up our general population in the USA, IMO. They are also found along the beaches of 30A, even in WaterColor, Seaside, etc.

I drove that stretch of Old 98, yesterday, and I saw cars parked in every way posible. On the south shoulder of the road, I saw parallel parked cars facing both directions, east and west. I saw cars parked at 45 degree angles in both directions. (very dangerous when leaving.) Cars were also parked backed in at 45 degrees. Some were even parked at perpendicular to Old 98. It was the most hap-hazard trainwreck that I've seen. Maybe helping to orgainize these crazy people would be a start.

I also noticed tents on the beach, not too far away from the "No tents on the beach" signs, and beach umbrellas were three deep. Thanks, but no thanks.

Regarding condo living, some people are very against high rises. I would like to point out that if done correctly, high rises can be valuable to protecting the land. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it done right around here. By concentrating the human impact into one small piece of earth, we can limit our footprint. The key to this is that the surrounding land must not be developed. It must remain natural. If you've ever seen the views from a highrise condo, you will understand why some people love them. This is the same mindset of the walkable communities like Seaside. Unfortunately, they leave very little undeveloped, and other communities, like WaterColor, develope right up to the property line, also leaving little undeveloped.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top