• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Schools in SoWal?

New posts

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
I am thinking about making My 2nd home my "Home Sweet Home". My son is 12 and he is in 7th grade here on Long Isalnd in South Massapequa (23), The schools are very good here.What I need to know about Walton school (The Jr. High and High), do only So.Wal kids go to South walton schools? Do any other counties go to these schools? Do any other kids get bused in? My work takes me all over so that will remain the same. When we come down, we hardly see kids playing anywhere. Where do kids play there? How is the PTA? Is it strong?
Dabell
 
Re: Schools in South Walton?

I have a 12-year-old son in the seventh grade too. Our middle school, Emerald Coast Middle School, is new this year and so far I'm happy. There is also a charter/neighborhood middle school at Seaside; maybe someone else can chime in on that. Both would be excellent. I know several families that shipped their middle-schoolers out-of-county to Destin Middle, but most have come back now that ECMS is open. I believe you would have the choice of ECMS or Freeport (or Seaside) as far as in-county goes. Again, the PTO at ECMS is new but is already active.

For seeing kids playing, try checking out the neighborhoods north of 98, or those with a number of year-round residents. My son doesn't play outside much unless he goes to a friend's house, primarily because there aren't any other kids within a mile of our home. You can also check out Helen McCall park on most Saturdays during football or baseball seasons - although being 12, he is probably too old for the youth league sports. ECMS does have a football team, and will be having basketball, baseball, wrestling, soccer, and (I think) tennis.
 
Re: Schools in South Walton?

Why would anyone send thier child to Destin's Schools? Do people have a option? Where I am living (mainly) If you do not pay Massapequa taxes YOu CANNOT go to Massapequa shcools.
 
Re: Schools in South Walton?

Since South Walton High opened, the middle school and high school were combined (until Emerald Coast Middle School opened last month) and, as with any new school, there were significant growing pains. Some parents, particularly those in or near Miramar Beach, chose to drive their kids into Destin, where the middle school has been open a little bit longer.

Until very recently (last 5 -10 years or so), South Walton kids went to middle/high school in Freeport and Destin kids went to middle/high in Fort Walton Beach.
 
Re: Schools in South Walton?

Can they still do that? And can Ft. Walton school in Destin or Walton?
 
Re: Schools in South Walton?

You can still cross the county line, but never having considered it, I do not know what is entailed.

In any event, :welcome:
 
Re: Schools in South Walton?

If I were 12 and lived at the beach, I know where I'd spend my time! :lol:
 
Re: Schools in South Walton?

Thank you for your welcome. We'll I'll be down there on Oct 1st for a few days with my son ( he'll be off from school for a few days). I will pass the school. What time does your school end?
 
Re: Schools in South Walton?

Landlocked said:
If I were 12 and lived at the beach, I know where I'd spend my time! :lol:

Yep, me too, LL. My son is involved in every sport here, but that is because that is all there is to do in my neck of the woods. I would imagine that if we were lucky enough to live that close to the beach, he would be a surfer dude. :lolabove:

OH, and :welcome: Dabell.
 
Re: Schools in South Walton?

Thank you Kathy! Do u Know when school ends for the day? Like in what time does it start and how long are the classes ( 45min?) Lunch time do the kid get to go out side? Can they go out to lunch? As in walk to a deli or something? Do they have Hot lunches to buy? And I know this maybe a bit to much to ask for, How many kids are to a class room? here it's 17 to 21 after that they must have a teacher's aid in the class room but, never more than 30 in one class yet you never see 30 maybe 24, 25 like that.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top