• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Seagrove killed us

New posts

Underthebluemoon

Beach Lover
Just got back from a two-week stay in Mexico, where we compared EVERYTHING to the panhandle.

The panhandle won every time ~the sand is softer, the people are cooler, the sunsets are prettier, and you can drink the water. We have already booked our trip for next summer in Seagrove, and we're coming down in November for a long weekend without the kids. Any suggestions on a romantic-type place to stay in Grayton?
 
They have better Mexican food down there. ;-)

If you like the street party atmosphere - stay above the Zoo Gallery. More romantic would be Hibiscus House B&B.
 
kurt said:
They have better Mexican food down there. ;-)

...that is, unless this native texas girl is down in SoWal cooking... ;-)
 
katie blue said:
...that is, unless this native texas girl is down in SoWal cooking... ;-)

Hello native...I was born in Houston many years ago and have lived in Dallas since starting SMU in '72 (1972 that is). Where you from?
 
Seagrove didn't KILL you...you have just come under the spell of the SoWal spirit! Don't worry, it's one of the good spirits! I know what you are saying though...the only other beach I have found that I can "TOLERATE" is Anguilla. The island is not yet overbuilt, the people are so friendly and the food is great.
 
Hey Sueshore, Houston high-five!
wootrock.gif


I'm glad to hear we win out over Mexico. It's how we discovered Sowal, actually, searching for a place with turquoise beaches like the Riviera Maya, but a little closer. I think we found it. And as I said, when we're cooking up the breakfast tacos con huevos, pico guacamole, mojo-marinated fajitas, special chicken enchiladas and john's perfect margaritas with fresh squeezed juice....heh...you'll never need to go south of the border again. My dad ("Tex") taught me these recipes, and someday I'm going to hold a little fiesta for you all in seacrest....
 
katie blue said:
Hey Sueshore, Houston high-five!
wootrock.gif


I'm glad to hear we win out over Mexico. It's how we discovered Sowal, actually, searching for a place with turquoise beaches like the Riviera Maya, but a little closer. I think we found it. And as I said, when we're cooking up the breakfast tacos con huevos, pico guacamole, mojo-marinated fajitas, special chicken enchiladas and john's perfect margaritas with fresh squeezed juice....heh...you'll never need to go south of the border again. My dad ("Tex") taught me these recipes, and someday I'm going to hold a little fiesta for you all in seacrest....

Yummy, yummy in the tummy! Muy bien!

So, KB, how was it for you the first time you saw the beach and water on the FL gulf? After growing up on the beaches of Galveston, I was absolutely STUNNED when I saw them 18 years ago! I remember standing on the balcony of the Sandestin condo with my mouth open. It made no sense to me...the difference between the two!
 
There is just something about sitting on that beach in Seagrove, Mojito in hand, waiting for sunset, that can not be matched. I am not religious at ALL, but I have had some serious feelings of zen while sitting there (could also be the rum in the mojito, but anyway....)

We tried it in Mexico, several times, but between the vendors trying to sell you conch shells that sound like horns, and sunglasses, the smell of the wave runner fumes, the obnoxious tourists who throw their cigarette butts into the sand as tho they're going to magically va-pooh-rize, sipping on a $10 watered down mojito made with TEQUILA --nah, it's just not the same.

I have a SERIOUS overpacking problem. And because I am so used to driving to Seagrove and bringing whatever I can sneak into the car without my husband noticing, i.e. the espresso machine, my juicer, tabletop lime squeezer, crockpot (for making shredded bbq beef fajitas,) my hand weights (that I never use, but bring every year anyway in case I decide to "workout," the deep fryer (for fried chicken, of course,)-- I overpacked soooo much that they charged me an extra 85 bucks for my suitcase, because it went over the weight limit for US Airways by 18 pounds. :idontno:
 
Yes, SoWal is zen for me too. When it's calm and blue I always say it looks like seeing infinity.

Where were you in Mexico?

:blink: .....and did you really bring an espresso machine there? could i have finally found someone more caffeinated than myself? :lol:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top