• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Seaside Half Marathon/5K - 3/3-5/06

New posts

Sally

Beach Fanatic
The 4th Annual Seaside Half Marathon & 5K Run will be held March 3 - 5 in Seaside.
The three-day event will include a concert, pasta dinner and runner?s expo. On the 5th, the Half Marathoners start at 7:30 a.m., followed by the 5K runners at 7:40 a.m. The course begins and ends in Seaside winding its way through County Road 30A. After the race, participants are celebrated at a lawn party and awards ceremony.
All profits from the weekend events benefit the Seaside Neighborhood School. For more information, visit www.seasidehalfmarathon.com or call (850) 231-6190.
 
I had a really good ten miler today, and I'm now thinking of racing the half, while Mr. Mouse is thinking the 5K. Anyone else gonna be there?
 
I enjoyed doing it last year, but don't think I am going to make it this time...
 
I will see you there, but I am walking;-). (long and mostly boring story so don't ask) I ask, "Why run? Relax. You're at the Beach!":D
 
The faster I go, the sooner the pain will stop.

That, and it's been a couple years since I've done a standalone half, and I think I've learned a few things about pacing since then, so I'm looking to see if I can turn those lessons into a better time. Seaside 2003 was my first half. I ended up taking it out too fast and paid big time.
 
I wanted to try the half marathon but not too sure, so my daughter and I are dong the 5k...great times.
 
Don't forget to support the Pink Fairy along the way ...


To paraphrase Groucho Marx, ?I?ve hoid of pink elephants, but dis is ridiculous.?

County Hwy. 30-A has become the early spring training grounds of England?s Pink Fairy, a partially-sighted British jogger who will be running in this year?s London Marathon to raise public awareness and funds for Action for Blind People-- a registered British charity that provides practical support to blind and partially sighted people through work, housing, leisure and support.

The Pink Fairy, better known to her friends and family as Jane Ashdown, is a part-time resident of South Walton County. She and her husband, Gordan--a retired architect and marathon runner--split their time between here and Poundbury, England (interestingly, Poundbury is a ?sister-town? with Seaside and like it?s Floridian sibling, is an architecturally-inspired, planned community considered one of the showcases of architecture?s ?New Urbanism? movement).

The London Marathon is considered by many to be the world?s premier charitable marathon and is widely-known for it?s ?anything goes? atmosphere with runners donning outrageous costumes to bring attention to their various causes. Over the years, joggers have ?tramped the cobbles? dressed as everything from rhinos to giant teapots. So Ashdown?s Pink Fairy persona, complete with tutu, tiara and magic wand?all pink, of course?should feel right at home.

While Ashdown will be accompanied in London by daughter Sophie (herself an accomplished marathon runner), she trains in Seaside on her own?not an easy task for someone is considered partially sighted. Still, her spirit shines through. ?I do seem to bump into things and fall easily!? she jokes on her website. ?However, I am determined to complete the marathon to aid those who cannot see at all.?

Those wishing to learn more about, or donate to, the Pink Fairy can visit her website at www.ashdowns.com. Or you may just bump into her one day jogging down 30-A.
 
I'll be calling out the times for the runners coming in right before the finish line - across the street from West Ruskin. I'm thinking that is my job again this year. Be sure to yell at me on your way in. I'm hoping to do the time for the 5k like I did before.
 
seagrover said:
I'll be calling out the times for the runners coming in right before the finish line - across the street from West Ruskin. I'm thinking that is my job again this year. Be sure to yell at me on your way in. I'm hoping to do the time for the 5k like I did before.

I'm so proud of you Seagrover! Way to go Champ!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top