• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Seaside Review -- Oct. 1-8

New posts
Johnrudy said:
Thanks for the info. However, when I check Rosemary's rates, they actually seem to be much higher in price than Seaside, albiet newer and fresher rentals, etc. (The same goes for WaterColor.) It used to be back in the day when it was only Seaside, more or less, that seemed so $$$$. Now it's cheaper than a lot of places!!!

We live next to Rosemary. It's great, but I agree. The neighborhood feeling is just not there.
 
Johnrudy said:
Thanks for the info. However, when I check Rosemary's rates, they actually seem to be much higher in price than Seaside, albiet newer and fresher rentals, etc. (The same goes for WaterColor.) It used to be back in the day when it was only Seaside, more or less, that seemed so $$$$. Now it's cheaper than a lot of places!!!
You might be right about rates. We moved into our home in November of 2002, so rates might have changed. But still there is more property south of 30-A at Rosemary than at Seaside, so a much safer beach access. The green spaces at Rosemary are a nice touch, as compared to the commercial and trafficky feeling on the south side of 30-A at Seaside. I just don't want to have to worry about one of my family members or friends getting hit by a car while walking to the beach. That's less likely at Rosemary than Seaside.
 
Beach Runner said:
You might be right about rates. We moved into our home in November of 2002, so rates might have changed. But still there is more property south of 30-A at Rosemary than at Seaside, so a much safer beach access. The green spaces at Rosemary are a nice touch, as compared to the commercial and trafficky feeling on the south side of 30-A at Seaside. I just don't want to have to worry about one of my family members or friends getting hit by a car while walking to the beach. That's less likely at Rosemary than Seaside.

Agreed. Rosemary has really grown on me lately. I feel like Seaside ran its course as a cute little town. Its settled now and I think the Rosemary end of 30-A is going to be a lot calmer. Even if it takes you 30 minutes to get from Grayton over there through all the traffic. :roll:
 
Kimmifunn said:
Agreed. Rosemary has really grown on me lately. I feel like Seaside ran its course as a cute little town. Its settled now and I think the Rosemary end of 30-A is going to be a lot calmer. Even if it takes you 30 minutes to get from Grayton over there through all the traffic. :roll:

Two years ago we rented a house in Water's Edge right next door to Rosemary. It was nice but maybe just a little too quiet. Things are picking up down on that end of 30-A but I wanted to be closer to the action and Grayton Beach! I really don't see the fascination with Seaside. I love to visit there but why would you want to walk so far to the beach and pay the high prices? I guess if you are staying longer than a week you may be able to enjoy the ammenities and the neighborhood.
 
I thought I was the only one not so enamoured of Seaside any more. I still like it a lot, don't get me wrong, but I think it's resting on its laurels and hasn't yet noticed that it is not the Queen of the Beach any more, that places like Watercolor and Rosemary Beach are overtaking it in terms of style and substance. Seaside is nowhere as unique as it once was. Another thing I noticed, and this is my experience only, but the last few cottages we stayed at were getting a little worn around the edges and in need of some deep cleaning and maintenance. I know I'm picky about things like that, but if you're charging top dollar for rental, then you should be offering a 100% product.
 
Ocean Lover said:
Two years ago we rented a house in Water's Edge right next door to Rosemary. It was nice but maybe just a little too quiet. Things are picking up down on that end of 30-A but I wanted to be closer to the action and Grayton Beach! I really don't see the fascination with Seaside. I love to visit there but why would you want to walk so far to the beach and pay the high prices? I guess if you are staying longer than a week you may be able to enjoy the ammenities and the neighborhood.

Yep...I agree. My biggest draw is Bud's...after hours! Or at sunset. I prefer Grayton over any of them personally. :idontno:
 
Kimmifunn said:
Yep...I agree. My biggest draw is Bud's...after hours! Or at sunset. I prefer Grayton over any of them personally. :idontno:

Rosemary has "the greens" that are great for bocce ball.
Check my avatar for accuracy.

And I agree that Seaside has run it's course. That's why it's getting a face lift over the next 5 years.
 
The less it looks like Truman's town the better off we'll be. Age is good for a place. Fond memories of the next generation will keep demand high.
 
Seasider said:
Great review!

The Seaside dunes and walkovers were perfectly restored after Hurricane Ivan last year at a cost close to $1,000,000. I am sure that once hurricane and turtle season is over, restoration from this year's destruction will commence. Most of the money to do the repair work must be assessed from the individual homeowners. This year, there is more interest in doing more than a quick fix that will be washed away in the next storm.
At the risk of sounding totally clueless, I have to ask--so, does that mean the walkovers in Seaside were replaced after Ivan and then detroyed again after Dennis? We haven't been down in a year, so I have no point of reference, sorry.
 
peapod1980 said:
At the risk of sounding totally clueless, I have to ask--so, does that mean the walkovers in Seaside were replaced after Ivan and then detroyed again after Dennis? We haven't been down in a year, so I have no point of reference, sorry.

You are correct. Seaside will be waiting until Hurricane season is over before constructing any walkovers.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top