• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Seaside - sand

New posts

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
P4220126.JPG


Seaside April 22 2006 - sand added to beach where main walkover use to be. I don't know if they are building the walkover or just protecting the symbol of Seaside, but there is mucho sand there, extending out fairly far from the dune line.
 
We saw the giant mountain of new sand over in front of Bud & Ally's the other day. We all (including spidey) were tempted to go play on it, but were too hungry and went to eat instead. thanks for the photo!
 
I noticed the darker sand today east of One Seagrove Place. Rather grayish. Clearly not the old sugar sand that we're used to.

I don't see how the erosion cliffs at some spots will heal in our lifetimes unless large amounts of sand are brought in. BTW I saw a seawall (the wooden type) in which the sand has already eroded enough that the wood is showing. Yikes! I've heard that the sand to cover the wooden seawalls costs in the neighborhood of $40,000 (obviously depending on the width). I'd be pretty ticked if that sand were already blowing away. On the other hand, the effectiveness of building such structures has been extensively debated on this message board.

However, despite all of this, I'll have to say that the beaches are looking great. All of the "black stuff" and rocks are covered up in the area of Seagrove that I've walked. The area down by the end of Eastern Lake Road is absolutely beautiful.
 
Smiling JOe said:
P4220126.JPG


Seaside April 22 2006 - sand added to beach where main walkover use to be. I don't know if they are building the walkover or just protecting the symbol of Seaside, but there is mucho sand there, extending out fairly far from the dune line.

Sand is being placed against some of the dunes in Seaside and Watercolor to protect them. In Seaside, Seaside Commumnity Development has bought sand to protect the dunes in the center of the beach. Some of the gulf front owners have bought sand to protect the dunes in front of their homes, and the Natchez Association bought sand to protect the Natchez Pavilion. Some pavilions will not be receiving sand. I think the sand may be coming from Pensacola. Fortunately, no seawalls or geotubes are going in. Hopefully, the walkovers will be rebuilt soon.
 
Sand is being placed in front of the WaterColor Inn only. Homeowners rejected the vote for more sand. They had already voted last fall for a Protectube, out of fear I suspect....which was not installed because of permits and timing. From what I see, that sand will probably end up in Grayton State Park if there are any storms.
 
While needing a 2/3 vote to pass, majority of Seaside homeowners voted against adding sand. The beaches are recovering nicely, and if God decides he doesn't like the dunes where they are, he will move them.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top