• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Security on 30-A Beaches

New posts
Outside of state parks, the county also owns some property at their beach accesses that is publc also. More land is owned at regional beach accesses and they have parking also. All county-maintained beach and bay accesses can be found at: http://www.protectwaltoncountybeaches.com/accesses.asp

The addresses are correct, but the map is dated and doesn't include all accesses.

As for what could happen, the sherrif deputies could cite you for tresspassing. However, where private ownership exists, the private ownership can only extend to the location of the Mean High Water Elevation. The state owns everything below (or south) of mean high water. If someone asks (or tells) someone to move off their property it should require them to demonstrate where that location is. The ONLY way to do that accurately is via survey. It would be interesting to see how many owners have an up-to-date survey that would stand up legally in a court.

One other note, where the beach restoration has occurred, the mean high water line was set by the establishment of an Erosion Control Line and does not move like it does in the 30-A area. This means there is now a publically-owned dry beach that was created by placing sand in the water seaward of the MHW line (ECL in this case). In other words, part of the dry beach would be publically-owned and part could be privately-owned. Sandtrap is located within the project area. It would be interesting to see if the owner was removing people from land south of the ECL because if they are, then they would be removing them from publically-owned beach. They should have to demonstrate that people were north of the ECL at least until the aforementioned Supreme Court Case is ruled upon.
 
Sounds like the definitions of public beach and private beach are as clear as mud!

Someone thought that the new private beach access in Blue Mountain was approved on the condition that the public have use of the entire beach. Anyone got more info on this?

I think making the whole beach "public" as a condition of a new developement is a great idea!
 
To be fair to the private property owners, a lot of them have had problems with people in the past going beyond a reasonable distance to shore and going right up to houses, trampling landscaping, leaving trash on the beach, inappropriate locations for urination, etc.
 
To be fair to the private property owners, a lot of them have had problems with people in the past going beyond a reasonable distance to shore and going right up to houses, trampling landscaping, leaving trash on the beach, inappropriate locations for urination, etc.

Obnoxious and poorly mannered people will ruin it for others every time! I never have a problem with them being ticketed for littering or asked to move.

I could see it being an issue in locations where homes or condo "yards" are quite close in elevation to the beach (plant some shrubs or put up a fence already for the truly stupid wanderers), but in many locations along 30A and old 98 there is approximately a 2 story difference in grade, making it difficult to accidentally wander too far into someone's yard.
 
If I am ever asked to leave a beach, I will consider it an invite to stay... They will need to arrest me! I feel that would be some real positive publicity for the issue. ;-)
 
If I am ever asked to leave a beach, I will consider it an invite to stay... They will need to arrest me! I feel that would be some real positive publicity for the issue. ;-)

:clap: :clap: :clap: come sit in front of my house! i will call the cops/sheriff! then sit back and watch! :cool:
 
If I am ever asked to leave a beach, I will consider it an invite to stay... They will need to arrest me! I feel that would be some real positive publicity for the issue. ;-)

Maybe that could be the summer solstice activity for the local Surfrider group. Start the day with a sit-in and then paddle out in the evening. ;-)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top