• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Shark Attack

New posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
lenzoe said:
There's a difference between expecting the county to put a stoplight at an intersection -- to stop motorists from killing each other -- and asking the same entity to protect us from nature and the elements.

I'm sure lifeguards would save lives. So would increased regulation on motorcycling, hang-gliding, rock-climbing, and any other activity you can think of. That doesn't mean we as a society should agitate for or expect some organization to protect us during recreation.

I appreciate government in an educational role. I disagree with government in a protect us from ourselves role.

And no matter how many people are in it, the Gulf is not a pool. Lifeguards CAN kick you out for peeing in a pool.
That last comment sounds like Jeff Goldblum in The Big Chill, " that's what I like about the outdoors, it's like one big toilet".
 
Shark in Seagrove

An hour ago, I spoke with a gentleman who told me he was in Seagrove this morning and witnessed a 6'-7' shark swimming in fairly close the beach. Unsupervised young kids were in the water having a great time, and didn't seem to notice. His question is, "Where are the parents?"
 
Sounds like regardless of what brought them in they may be hanging out a while. I'm guessing the best advice right now is to pretty much just stay out of the water or only go out a couple feet?

I was down when the girl got attacked and we're coming down again this weekend and again the following week for about 9 days with kids ... I guess we'll be keeping 'em shallow in the ocean or shallow on the inlet. They like to body board and skim board but I'm thinking they may just have to stick with skimming. Am I sounding paranoid?
 
Sorry ... also, does anyone have any pointers on telling the difference between a king cobia in the water and a shark in the water? I was fishing with some friends about a month ago and a cobia went by us, they all freaked thinking they're going to catch this awesome fish, of course no one did but it was fun none the less. I can't tell the difference. Land locked girl with little experience in this area ; )
 
cassie said:
Sorry ... also, does anyone have any pointers on telling the difference between a king cobia in the water and a shark in the water? I was fishing with some friends about a month ago and a cobia went by us, they all freaked thinking they're going to catch this awesome fish, of course no one did but it was fun none the less. I can't tell the difference. Land locked girl with little experience in this area ; )

Even though they are quite different up close, they look similar swimming under a few feet of water. I think it just takes seeing a few and learning the way they look underwater and how they move. Even then it can be hard to tell.
 
Re: Shark in Seagrove

Smiling JOe said:
An hour ago, I spoke with a gentleman who told me he was in Seagrove this morning and witnessed a 6'-7' shark swimming in fairly close the beach. Unsupervised young kids were in the water having a great time, and didn't seem to notice. His question is, "Where are the parents?"


We cannot count on S. Walton tourists to even understand the potential dangers to their kids - that is where I would agree to some sort of government intervention. The tourists do not understand the potential dangers of sharks, rip currents, or even hurricanes. Somehow/some way they need to get educated and start to accept some responsibility.
 
Re: Shark in Seagrove

southof30A said:
We cannot count on S. Walton tourists to even understand the potential dangers to their kids - that is where I would agree to some sort of government intervention. The tourists do not understand the potential dangers of sharks, rip currents, or even hurricanes. Somehow/some way they need to get educated and start to accept some responsibility.

Let's all say it together "SoWal".

Just trying to help out our host. I think he'd like it to catch on. ;-) :D
 
Re: Shark in Seagrove

FoX said:
Let's all say it together "SoWal".

Just trying to help out our host. I think he'd like it to catch on. ;-) :D
It looks like Kurt has SoWal trademarked, so be careful where you use it. You may have to pay him some royalties. Maybe South Walton will become known as SoWal on the map, and Kurt could get a handsome some for the great idea of the name. I like it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top