• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Should Code Enforcement become Proactive?

New posts
I thought that keeping the seawall covered with sand was a DEP concern, not county.
It apparently isn't a concern by anyone in Gov't, though it was a County requirement to cover the walls completely and that the slope to the lower elevation of beach be a natural slope of 2:1, and very few Gulf Front property owners have yet to do that, either.
 
Code enforcement should be a last resort. We don't need too much govt. We have to pay taxes and I don't want my taxes wasted on fuel for being proactive. This must be an election year, why all of a sudden for the change????? Need to get all the facts before jumping to conclusions.:idontno:
 
Code enforcement should be a last resort. We don't need too much govt. We have to pay taxes and I don't want my taxes wasted on fuel for being proactive. This must be an election year, why all of a sudden for the change????? Need to get all the facts before jumping to conclusions.:idontno:

Your comments may have made a difference at the BCC meeting last night, but since none were heard, you better be checking those fences and paint colors. Cause now the guvment is going to do it for you.
 
Your comments may have made a difference at the BCC meeting last night, but since none were heard, you better be checking those fences and paint colors. Cause now the guvment is going to do it for you.
Walton GOP, Did you go to the meeting? What happened? Who said what?
:idontno:
 
Walton GOP, Did you go to the meeting? What happened? Who said what?
:idontno:

I was there but had to leave before they got to the code enforcement stuff. But I spoke to Kevin and a couple of commissioners this morning and it appears that proactive enforcement, seven days a week, is on it's way. They will also be setting up to take anonymous complaints. The plan is the one I posted earlier, divide the county into zones, the same as the commission districts, and assign officers to patrol those zones and seek out violations and get them cleaned up. I imagine that there will be a period of adjustment and retooling as they work to get this program kicked off.
 
Let them eat cake!

you are very good gordhead!!!:clap:

I was there but had to leave before they got to the code enforcement stuff. But I spoke to Kevin and a couple of commissioners this morning and it appears that proactive enforcement, seven days a week, is on it's way. They will also be setting up to take anonymous complaints. The plan is the one I posted earlier, divide the county into zones, the same as the commission districts, and assign officers to patrol those zones and seek out violations and get them cleaned up. I imagine that there will be a period of adjustment and retooling as they work to get this program kicked off.

excellent.

after reviewing this thread, I am truly shocked that code enforcement is currently operating as described here - reactionary. I don't keep up with county government - since moving here over a dozen years ago I went through a period of shock and surprise as to the entire operational mode of county government in general (after living in only municipalities). I know enough to know that we have very slowly made some progress here and there, such as electing a few experienced and qualified BCC commissioners, some organizational improvements, etc. (btw, our county fire and emergency service (SWFD) is outstanding compared to other counties and has been for quite some time - but this is a separate entity / law enforcement is another story).

I can't tell you how many times, while strolling in the neighborhood, we have come across previously heavily wooded large lots in our state forest neighborhood - and seemingly overnight that lot is suddenly completely bare of trees, and filled - it seems such a crime, and perhaps it is, but when those trees are levelled, then its done. and no amount of enforcement will correct it. then comes the FWB lawn, non-native shrubs and plants, the brick home complete with the concrete drive. we will have to live with such unfortunate homes and "improved" lots forever. the resident usually sells after a few years and goes back to FWB or wherever, leaving us with their brick home sitting on a filled lot with no trees.. (fortunately most residents here have not done this, but quite a few have - and some have done it with full county approval/permitting.

bring on the enforcers. now!
 
Last edited:
Look at the number of lurkers on this message board, compared to the people who actually post something. I think you will find a similarity in the number of people who see wrongdoings, compared to those who will take the time to report it.......
Conversely, based on the number of your posts, you must be the ultimate "Big Brother" who's watching (and reporting) everything. And from what I've seen from several of your posts, you haven't disappointed me much in this regard.
 
It apparently isn't a concern by anyone in Gov't, though it was a County requirement to cover the walls completely and that the slope to the lower elevation of beach be a natural slope of 2:1, and very few Gulf Front property owners have yet to do that, either.
From your post above: "..it was a County requirement to cover the walls completely.."

Is it still?
 
Conversely, based on the number of your posts, you must be the ultimate "Big Brother" who's watching (and reporting) everything. And from what I've seen from several of your posts, you haven't disappointed me much in this regard.

most who know SJ around here and in the community appreciate his leadership and work to help keep our community safe, clean and beautiful. he's also made many of us more aware of issues in general. thanks Smiling Joseph!!!:clap::wub::wave:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top