• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

So I have a client.......

New posts
who wants to put their house on the market. This home would primarily be a full time resident, not vacation. What to do? The carpet in the home is NASTY from pets and kids. So do they put new carpet in for potential buyers or give the buyers an allowance? They are realistic in the market and the price is not going to be inflated like some. ;-) What do you peeps think??? Thanks for any input.....IBD

Leave the carpet in. Price the home below others but not by much. 10-15%. Folks walk through and think of getting a deal. Fixer upper. Not a lot of those left in the area. House we appreciate over long term in buyers mind. Sellers win with a fast sale and buyers win on a good deal.
 
Leave the carpet in. Price the home below others but not by much. 10-15%. Folks walk through and think of getting a deal. Fixer upper. Not a lot of those left in the area. House we appreciate over long term in buyers mind. Sellers win with a fast sale and buyers win on a good deal.
There are many opinions on the subject. My personal opinion is that a home in need of basic updates, eg- new carpet, priced only 10-15% below competing listings (many of which are over-priced), does not necessarily equate to a fast sale, nor do most buyers think they are winning a good deal in such a case.
 
As a potential buyer, I am all for a fixer-upper, but going into a house with gross pet stuff (especially smells) would really make me look elswhere. Paint colors are one thing, but you always think "how deep does the "yuk" go??? If it's really bad, get it out!!:biggrin:
 
I?m not an expert, and I?m certainly not a Realtor, but I?ll throw in my opinion.

We listed a house that we owned in Tallahassee with a Realtor who had an excellent reputation. We installed new carpeting, painted the interior, touched up the landscaping, etc. Months passed and we didn?t receive an offer ? the Tallahassee market wasn?t too bad at that time.

Whenever I stopped by to check the house, I just didn?t like the look or feel of the front door. The handset was almost ten years old, the finish had deteriorated and it felt kind of cruddy to me. One day when I wasn?t especially busy I replaced the handset with a new top-of-the-line entry set. I also replaced the door hinges with very attractive solid brass hinges. Now things felt right. The house sold a few days later ? maybe first impressions do mean a lot.
 
We later found out from neighbors that the people who had lived in our home before we bought it were running an unlicensed Yorkie puppy mill inside.

Take the old carpet out, scrub down any slab concrete with bleach, and deal with any subflooring smell issues before putting new carpet down. Sale will go much smoother, and you'll be glad you did. When we bought, average time for a home to go under contract in our area was about six weeks. Our future home with the flooring issue taken care of, and a realistic price, got three offers in two weeks.
 
As a potential buyer, I am all for a fixer-upper, but going into a house with gross pet stuff (especially smells) would really make me look elswhere. Paint colors are one thing, but you always think "how deep does the "yuk" go??? If it's really bad, get it out!!:biggrin:

Make an offer.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top