• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

SoWal Advisory Group

New posts

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
I am trying to be positive here. We obviously have a lot of experience and talent on the Board. We are able to articulate opinions, quickly "see" things, and are not shy about jumping into an issue.
I am wondering if we can design a way to serve the community BEFORE things happen...serve as a citizens advisory panel; a focus group; a sounding board...for some of the officials.
Most of us have commitments of home and family and jobs...many of us are only here part of the year...but we all have a vested interest in our community.
I have lived here for almost eight years and at first I attended meetings, signed up for committees, and offered my services...I stopped because I could not seem to get anywhere...and sitting through 3, 4, or 5 hour County Commission meetings is just not possible for me to do on a regular basis.
But, I would gladly serve on a focus group or sounding board, if "the powers that be" would seek input in a more focused way BEFORE decisions are made.
Thoughts anyone????
 
good idea...SoWal was become a voice already...
 
Excellent idea Goodwitch- many of us are already involved in "pieces and parts" around here. It would be nice to have a central, focused, and organized group, that was keeping track of meetings and such that affect the community.
 
I already think of Sowal as an advisory group, and the best way to get the word out to the community about a potential issue. :wub:

Love how today's Sowal thread is next week's newspaper story! ;-)

IMO a dedicated advisory group/committee may just add to the trouble by adding another level of bureaucracy/red tape.

Definitely think that all "ideas" should be vetted through Sowal to avoid more gov't snafus.
 
Last edited:
Yes, it's called the South Walton Community Council. Their website is http://www.southwaltoncc.org . We got a lot of support from Executive Director Anita Page when our neighborhood had an issue that we felt strongly about.

You can also go to http://www.co.walton.fl.us to get dates and agendas for Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners meetings. If you want to be involved in the process before decisions are made regarding issues that are important to you, you can either attend the meetings or email the commissioners (their email addresses are on that website).
 
Last edited:
Yes, it's called the South Walton Community Council. Their website is http://www.southwaltoncc.org . We got a lot of support from Executive Director Anita Page when our neighborhood had an issue that we felt strongly about.


Anita is really good. She attends a lot of meetings and puts out some very good summaries that give both sides of many issues.

But even with their participation, it seems to me that things just do not get done. And it is frustrating for me and I just drive down to the area once a week or so. I would be a flipped out lunatic if I lived down there.

For example, when entering the temporary building that code enforcement and some of planning use in south Walton, they use to have a sign that said:

No Dogs' Allowed

except Service Dogs'

It took almost a year to get them to drop the ' from the word "Dogs". After explaining it to the person at the desk a dozen times I had to write three levels of government officials to get a sign changed so it did not portray Walton County as a bunch of uneducated people. And this is a small trivial example. But I believe an example of the overall attitude of government. Look how long this sign issue is dragging out. And several of the commissioners have told me that they want to see something changed, yet I see no one standing up and getting it done.

Oh well, enough ranting for the night.
 
Yes, Anita attends most BCC meetings held in SoWal, and she does represent SWCC. However, she is often only one of two people with the SWCC whom regularly attend the meetings. If you join a group like SWCC or any other group, it doesn't end there. You owe it to yourself and the group to actively participate. Don't expect someone else to do the work for you. I think that groups can be powerful, but even more powerful is a court room filled with individual free-thinkers.
 
For example, when entering the temporary building that code enforcement and some of planning use in south Walton, they use to have a sign that said:

No Dogs' Allowed

except Service Dogs'

It took almost a year to get them to drop the ' from the word "Dogs".
Misuse of the apostrophe is one of my pet peeves. Its misuse so rampant that some linguists recommend getting rid of it.:eek:

But that's not the SWCC's mistake.;-)
 
Misuse of the apostrophe is one of my pet peeves. Its misuse so rampant that some linguists recommend getting rid of it.:eek:

But that's not the SWCC's mistake.;-)

Sorry that error lies squarely on the staff of the Walton County Planning Department.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top