• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

SoWal in winter

New posts
I've been visiting SoWal most of my life and have been there in every season except for Winter, but this year is the year! Will I find many restaurants and businesses closed? October is my favorite time of year down there--please reassure me that I'll love it in December, too! :biggrin:
 
peapod1980 said:
I've been visiting SoWal most of my life and have been there in every season except for Winter, but this year is the year! Will I find many restaurants and businesses closed? October is my favorite time of year down there--please reassure me that I'll love it in December, too! :biggrin:

The really cold weather usually doesn't hit until Jan and Feb. Some places will be closed like Shrimpers, and some places will close for a couple of days a week, but most places will still be open as usual.
 
jessifunn said:
you'll like it. the resturants are still open and even the bars just not as late and less crowded. oh yeah and my personal favorite you can drive the speed limit down 30-A!
oh, good! those same things are what started us going down there in the fall, which totally spoiled me for any other time of the year. thanks!
 
Just be forewarned that Bud's closes down for January. Moe and Kim have to go on vaca sometime!
 
We love Dawson's fat-free/sugar-free yogurt, but their hours in the winter seem totally random. Shades is pretty much always open. We hang out at their bar a lot and watch sports (just look for a non-monogrammed Louis Vuitton). C'est moi! LOL. Cafe 30-A seems to do a good business year-round. And One Seagrove Place always seems to be hoppin'.

We use our outdoor spa year-round. Crank it up to 100 degrees, and it heats up quickly. The pool takes too long to heat in the winter. Actually I'm surprised we don't get more rentals in the winter because you can get in the water at our house year-round. We love to drink champagne at midnight on New Year's Eve in the spa.

Basically if you have a place with a view of the Gulf, it's nice to just sit inside, watch TV or a DVD or do paperwork, and enjoy the view, no matter what the weather is like.
 
We've been down several times for the week between Christmas & New Years. It's usually a little too chilly to sit on the beach for hours upon hours like we do in the Summer/Fall....but it's gorgeous. It's different for the sand to feel cold on your bare feet! We usually get by wearing shorts & sweatshirts...although, if the sun's not out sweats/jeans are needed. There are incredible sunsets in the winter...try to stay as close to the beach as possible. I have a picture of my grandson on the beach last December...but I'm not sure how to post it...he's all bundled up because it was late afternoon it's an adorable picture! December is great...you'll love it! :wub:
 
Okay...I'm not sure this worked it's my first try at posting a picture, but my son showed me how to decrease the size...the picture is one of my favorites and was taken last December! :wub:
 
If you didn't look in the background (to notice the water), it looks like he is playing in the snow.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top