• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

SoWal schools

New posts
Have you seen this web site yet?

http://www.teachinflorida.com/default.asp

Some good info there including job postings and salary info. (though I'm not getting much from the job search function)

Walton schools have made some serious improvements in recent years, though they're still seen as a bit behind Santa Rosa and Okaloosa.

In terms of the most job opportunities, I'd look into Santa Rosa County- they've got a lot of school growth going on right now (I'd say they've been averaging two new schools built every three years) seems like a motivated parent base, and the cost of decent, liveable housing is a lot lower than SoWal is. And you're close enough to SoWal to spend a lot of your weekend there.
 
Thanks for the tip beachmouse. I am planning to hit all three school boards (Santa Rosa, Oka, Walton) when I am there in Oct. I am sort of intimidated by doing the job hunt thing long distance, but I'm hoping my resume will help me. I figure there's gotta be just one little job for me in there somewhere.:idontno:
 
miramargal said:
Thanks for the tip beachmouse. I am planning to hit all three school boards (Santa Rosa, Oka, Walton) when I am there in Oct. I am sort of intimidated by doing the job hunt thing long distance, but I'm hoping my resume will help me. I figure there's gotta be just one little job for me in there somewhere.:idontno:

Good luck miramargal! I :wub: teachers!!!!
 
Seaside is a public charter school and has a total enrollment of 113 children for grades 6-8. Typically double the number of children than we have space for, apply to get in. It is a lottery system to get in, so students have about a 50/50 chance. There are 8 teachers that are excellent.

Walton County schools are continuing to grow and it seems that they are always looking for qualified teachers. With the recent reopening of Bay Elementary for K-5, they have hired a ton of teachers and they might not be done.

From what I understand, South Walton High has improved greatly over the last year and we're hoping that it will continue to do so. Our children will be going there in a few years.
 
miramargal said:
kurt - high school is for my son. I am certified to teach 1-8 and will add an early childhood/kindergarten endorsement if I pass the test I'm taking next month. Florida has reciprocity agreements with Louisiana so I'll be K-6.
Also, what do you know about the Seaside school? I know it's a charter school with small numbers and multiple grades per teacher(I think). It would be my nirvana to get to go to work at Seaside each day and do what I love most--educating children.

shallowsnole - Thanks for letting me know about Freeport. That is also an area we are interested in. From what I have read, Okaloosa pays more than Walton. I don't know if that is accurate, but it's really not just about the money. I want a school system that values the teacher as a person with committed principals. A good principal sets the tone for the entire school.

Good luck and I hope you find the perfect school for you. My daughter teaches 1st grade and LOVES it. Let us know where you end up.
 
I am a very involved volunteer at Emerald Coast Middle School and will rave about the outstanding education that my sons receive there. The leadership is outstanding and the teachers are not all straight out of college. The new librarian is even happy! (ever met a miserable school librarian? they're the worst, and what a way to make kids hate reading).

My older son will be in 9th grade at South Walton this coming year, and from what I can tell, that school has vastly improved over the past year.

While school always starts too early in the summer, we're looking forward to a good school year ahead.
 
We took our son to ECMS last Friday to check out his new school- what a great place! Everyone we met was so helpful and nice. We are coming in October from a middle school with almost 1300 kids to ECMS with about 300, so it will be like private school. I think Will is going to like it there, and he thinks so too! It is hard to move in 8th grade, but we are very confident that the rest of his 8th grade year will be good here. I think the size will be very helpful in making sure that his teachers really know him.

I looked through the PTA volunteer notebook in the front lobby- wow! Now here is a PTA to really get involved in! The "get involved" ideas and activities were useful and fresh- not the same old tired PTA stuff that is done here. I'm looking forward to signing up for a few things.
 
Thanks for the tip beachmouse. I am planning to hit all three school boards (Santa Rosa, Oka, Walton) when I am there in Oct. I am sort of intimidated by doing the job hunt thing long distance, but I'm hoping my resume will help me. I figure there's gotta be just one little job for me in there somewhere.:idontno:


A good friend moved to Destin(her mom is really sick) and works at Destin Elementary....they hired quite a few teachers this year and she is quite happy. SHe got her foot in the door by tutoring in the afternoon.

Good luck with the job hunt.
 
I have a question for those of you with children at ECMS and Seaside - what foreign languages programs do they offer children? I know my sons are learning a little bit of Spanish at Bay but I want them to take French language courses.
 
I have a question for those of you with children at ECMS and Seaside - what foreign languages programs do they offer children? I know my sons are learning a little bit of Spanish at Bay but I want them to take French language courses.

We were told Spanish and German at ECMS- I don't remember hearing anything about French. I took German in college- it was very challenging. Will has been taking Spanish and will probably continue it.

Does anyone know if the South Walton High offers Latin?
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top