• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Speed Limit Grayton

New posts
There is something wrong with this, because 15 mph is a dangerously slow speed on a straight stretch of road like that section of 30A. Someone should call the County Engineer to inquire. He spoke to our Grayton Homeowners' Association meeting last week and was very articulate. A lot of people were complaining about speed on DeFuniak Street, which I haven't really noticed as a problem. Then again, I'm not there during the busier times. I am all for reasonable speeds, but 15 mph is ridiculous and I don't think would be substantiated by any road manual. In fact, our police force always refuses to post speeds of under 25 mph because they say the tickets just get thrown out by the traffic court due to the speed being unreasonably low. I think the answer could be found somewhere between the County Sheriff's office and Publicl Works.
 
Citizen Services 892-8530
Public Works 892-8108
District 5 County Commissioner 622-3059
WCSO South Walton 267-2000, North Walton 892-8186

I'd call, but I'm at work. :roll:
 
I called Citizen Services...they said they don't handle that sort of thing and referred me to Public Works.

I called Public Works...they said they don't handle that sort of thing and referred me to the District 5 Roads Department (267-2201).

I called the District 5 Roads Dept...they took my name and number and said they'd have someone call me back.

I'll keep you posted.
 
Latest news I have on this (from the District 5 Road Department) is that they will move the 45 mph sign closer to the 285/30-A intersection (so that it is just east of the last business). It will remain 15 mph between there and the intersection. I don't recall off the top of my head what the last business east of the intersection is (Criolla's, perhaps?).

My personal opinion is that this change (i.e. moving the 45 closer to the intersection) makes sense. I understand them wanting to slow down traffic right there at the intersection and for the surrounding businesses. But look at the stretch from, say, Criolla's to Seaside/Watercolor. It is relatively less developed, what development there is is all on the south side (so no cross traffic), and the bike path stays on the south side (so no pedestrian crossings).
 
Before the flashing red, 30A at 283 was a very dangerous intersection, many bad accidents there over the years because of people just blasting right through. I am still nervous when approaching that intersection, expecting people to run the light/signs. Between that history and the proliferation of curb cuts onto 30A, a slower speed approaching the signal makes sense. However, I doubt seriously if a traffic court would ever uphold a speeding ticket for under 25 mph, regardless of how it is posted. Then again, not everyone is around for a future traffic court date and a day in traffic court is costly for many.

For the record, I think the speed bumps on DeFuniak Street are ineffective and even dangerous on their own, since they represent an obstruction in the roadway. Combined with the confusing mix of stop signs and "stop" painted in numerous places on the roadbed, it is distracting. You'd be pumping the brake all the way from 30A to Hotz Avenue if you obeyed every one of them.

I will be interested to hear the feedback from the County on this. Aaron, the County Engineer, said one of his key objectives is to provide answers that are consistent and in a timely manner. But this may be more relevant to the Sheriff's office than Public Works.
 
Doug&Wendy, what's with this ya'll bit? I get irritated when being behind someone on the interstate here going 45 in a 55 or 65 mph zone. I wouldn't see how someone could go much more than 25 or 30 mph through 30A. I have been on it. Don't have to worry about that when coming through the main drag in Destin coming east. It is very slow going. Rode the beach route one year from Panama City Beach through Destin and it was slow going! Went over and got on Interstate 10 the rest of the way to Pensacola. We were going over to see that Pensacola Lighthouse.
 
i think the idea behind the slow speed limits is to keep you all there in town so you'll spend more money there instead of going to go see the Pensacola Lighthouse
 
Aquaticbiology, I am a lighthouse fanatic. If I had the time and money I would take the driving Florida lighthouse tour. One of my co-workers comes to Destin every summer for vacation and stays at the Sandestin Resort. Destin would have to have the guided waverunner tours and all the beach shops like Panama City Beach has for us to consider coming there. And I am sure they don't have the number of restaurants PC Beach has. It is probably a littler pricier there at Destin than we can afford anyway. That is why we stay where we stay. We can take 1500.00 and come back home with $400.00 to $500.00 of that. My husband and I prefer the quieter less busy end of things, which is why we stay just outside of the west end of PC Beach.
 
ladydebubba60 said:
I am a lighthouse fanatic

i :wub: lighthouses too!
aids4.jpg


and the C Bouy at the end of the string off the pass!)
aids1.jpg


and the psj beacon (the ruins at the tip of the cape)
stjosephpointfront.JPG


and daymarks, range lights and just about anything else that intentionally floats


ladydebubba60 said:
We can take 1500.00 and come back home with $400.00 to $500.00 of that. My husband and I prefer the quieter less busy end of things, which is why we stay just outside of the west end of PC Beach.
gee, and i was complaining about the cost of dragging the boat back and forth!

dang - i wish i had 1500 bucks - wow! - i could go five times this month!

it only takes about 300 for the boat trip, and that's mainly for the gas dragging it down there and the generator for the ac (and ac!)

and that's what i like about staying on the boat the best - no kids, no crowds, no speed limits, no hotel bills, just the wind and waves and nothing but what you brought on board (which can be a brain teaser thinking of all the things you're going to need) and you simply just can't run to town and pick someting up or go shopping or whatever - i guess most people would call it very boring, but i love it and luckily my other half does too

we still put in in west bay since they have a really deep water boat ramp that makes it so much easier (you don't think they're going to put the new airport THERE, do you? sounds like my luck!) and you can either go down the canal towards ft walton/destin or down the bay to pc/pcb

sorry, guess i was rambling on there a little bit...

i was thinking about the fishing rodeo last year and if it was way too early to plan (daydream) about this years or not...
rodeo.jpg
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top