• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Summers Edge Beach

New posts

tfagan

Beach Crab
My family and I are looking at a rental in Summers Edge in June. We were there last year and loved it!! I am a little worried about the condition of the beach in this area. I was told that it was pretty much wiped out and to avoid it. I really hope this is not true but since we only get on vacation a year I am trying to make the right choice. I have seen some of the photos of the Ramsgate beach area and just can not tell how it is. Any help would be great. Thanks!
 
The beach is great. The walkover has been repaired. You'll love the area - very family-oriented and social (lots of impromptu get-togethers), and no worries about crossing busy streets. I know this because my sister owns three properties in the Eastern Lake Road area. BTW she doesn't rent her properties, so I'm not trying to drum up business for her. She has two young children, and she feels comfortable with them riding bikes in Summer's Edge and along Eastern Lake Road.

Disclaimer: Not to mislead you, but Summer's Edge doesn't have a beach in the sense that it's not beachfront. I guess you'd say it's 2nd row and beyond. But it's an easy walk to the beach (no busy streets to cross).

Crass commercialism alert!!!!! You can rent my home in Seagrove with a private pool/hot tub (as opposed to public in Summer's Edge), and just a sandy path to get to the beach. One of our neighbors is a contractor, so we're always the first to get our beach access repaired after a storm (which became an important asset last summer). PM me if you want more info.
 
tfagan said:
My family and I are looking at a rental in Summers Edge in June. We were there last year and loved it!! I am a little worried about the condition of the beach in this area. I was told that it was pretty much wiped out and to avoid it. I really hope this is not true but since we only get on vacation a year I am trying to make the right choice. I have seen some of the photos of the Ramsgate beach area and just can not tell how it is. Any help would be great. Thanks!


The Summers Edge beach is fine. In fact I have a recent photo from New Year's that I am trying to figure out how to load for you to see first hand!
Don't know who told you it was wiped out, etc., but it is NOT true. You will make the right choice here!!
 
Ditto Beach Runner and PKs comments. We have been down to our place near Summer's Edge 3-4 times since last Summer and the beach is awesome especially from the SE/Ramsgate walkover east towards Eastern Lake. They fixed both the Ramsgate and Eastern Lake Rd county accesses and reconfigured the Eastern Lake outflow area and it is in great shape.

You will not go wrong with this area. :cool: :welcome:
 
tfagan said:
My family and I are looking at a rental in Summers Edge in June. We were there last year and loved it!! I am a little worried about the condition of the beach in this area. I was told that it was pretty much wiped out and to avoid it. I really hope this is not true but since we only get on vacation a year I am trying to make the right choice. I have seen some of the photos of the Ramsgate beach area and just can not tell how it is. Any help would be great. Thanks!

We own a rental home in Summer's Edge, right next to one of the pools. We were down there about 3 weeks ago and the beaches look wonderful. The county made the beach access shorter than before and you have lots more beach. The sand is white and fluffy as always. We really thought it looked great. You will def. have a wonderful time. It is a very family oriented neighbhood and as also posted before you have no roads to cross and so much to do.
 
Wastin Away said:
you have no roads to cross
That is, unless you rent one of the homes in Summer's Edge that is on the north side of Eastern Lake Road (some are on the south side). But it's not at all a busy street. My nephews who are both under 11 ride their bikes on Eastern Lake Road.
 
wetwilly said:
...and reconfigured the Eastern Lake outflow area and it is in great shape.

You will not go wrong with this area. :cool: :welcome:

What exactly do you mean "reconfigured"? Did they change the direction it was running into the gulf? Also, does it take much rain for the lake to empty. I'm a little worried about muddy water in front of our rental instead of the crystal blue/green water we have gotten used to there. We usually stay further west in Seagrove.

He's a picture of the area. Please let me know how it has changed. Thanks!

EasternLake.jpg
 
wintersbk said:
What exactly do you mean "reconfigured"? Did they change the direction it was running into the gulf? Also, does it take much rain for the lake to empty. I'm a little worried about muddy water in front of our rental instead of the crystal blue/green water we have gotten used to there. We usually stay further west in Seagrove.

He's a picture of the area. Please let me know how it has changed. Thanks!

EasternLake.jpg

The outflow scoots over more towards the east, as opposed to the west as it does in your picture. We stayed a week last July only six days after the hurricane, and the bulldozers worked tirelessly to whip the outflow back into shape. It's a great place for the little kids to play, happily, same as it's always been.
 
Here is a photo I took on 2/4/06 at the Summer's Edge beach access. Someone requested photos (I can't remember who - sorry, brain freeze).

The beach looks great!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top