• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Super week but a question....

New posts

tumules

Beach Comber
Four friends and myself just returned from a really nice week in Seagrove Beach...we had a blast! Weather was super for 6 of the 7 days - a little on the chilly side but will come later next year to hopefully ensure warmer weather. We left the beach cleaner than we found it and obeyed all the laws. Here's what I don't get and hope you can help us understand.....

We dumped considerable money into the BSW economy and received some rude service and it's perplexing. Now I know what you are thinking....we must have done something to deserve rude treatment/service. We didn't and just couldn't get over the attitude of many. Let me give you a few examples.....

the checker (OK she was young, maybe 20) at the Publix store on 395 never, not once in 3 trips to this store, said thank you. Other Publix stores aren't this way. The last time I looked her straight in the eye and said thank you emphatically. There was a little spark and I think for a micro-second, she thought, maybe I was suppose to say thank you. Maybe she is privileged and her parents make her work to build character.

dropped $60 at the liquor store in Blue Mountain Beach. The white haired guy (clerk/owner?) never looked up, never said what the total was, grunted a no and pointed a finger to the door displaying only the Visa and MC logo when asked if he took AMEX, and never said thank you. For sure, we won't be returning to this store. Is this standard treatment?

The Red Bar and Picolo Restaurant.....Food was good, of course, and the service was good if almost too attentive (we were early at 5 PM.) We left the waiter 20% and stood outside the restaurant for a few minutes before loading the car to depart. While standing outside, he came outside and asked us if everything was OK. His tone was less than cordial and almost argumentative. We know he got all the tip as we handed him the check, the cash for the meal and his tip personally. We talked about this for days trying to figure out what was the issue. We were going to return for a second evening, but his behavior had us a little spooked so we ate elsewhere.

The small shops just north of 30A at Old Grayton Beach on the west side of the street just south of Big Mama's Hula Girl shop. We were followed around in one shop like we were going to steal something! I was contemplating purchasing a few things but decided she wasn't getting my money.

These are just a few of the poor experiences we had while spending our cash in the Beaches of South Walton. We had a few more, but I think you get the idea.

BUT, we also had two really nice experiences at the Starbucks just east of the Old Grayton Beach intersection on 30A. The gal at the Starbucks was wonderful, chatting, laughing and made us great lattes. The owner of the Sterling Gallery was a really nice guy - no pressure, fun to talk with, etc. We bought more than several items from him.

We just couldn't get over the rude treatment to paying customers. Are our experiences isolated?
 
Four friends and myself just returned from a really nice week in Seagrove Beach...we had a blast! Weather was super for 6 of the 7 days - a little on the chilly side but will come later next year to hopefully ensure warmer weather. We left the beach cleaner than we found it and obeyed all the laws. Here's what I don't get and hope you can help us understand.....

We dumped considerable money into the BSW economy and received some rude service and it's perplexing. Now I know what you are thinking....we must have done something to deserve rude treatment/service. We didn't and just couldn't get over the attitude of many. Let me give you a few examples.....

the checker (OK she was young, maybe 20) at the Publix store on 395 never, not once in 3 trips to this store, said thank you. Other Publix stores aren't this way. The last time I looked her straight in the eye and said thank you emphatically. There was a little spark and I think for a micro-second, she thought, maybe I was suppose to say thank you. Maybe she is privileged and her parents make her work to build character.

dropped $60 at the liquor store in Blue Mountain Beach. The white haired guy (clerk/owner?) never looked up, never said what the total was, grunted a no and pointed a finger to the door displaying only the Visa and MC logo when asked if he took AMEX, and never said thank you. For sure, we won't be returning to this store. Is this standard treatment?

The Red Bar and Picolo Restaurant.....Food was good, of course, and the service was good if almost too attentive (we were early at 5 PM.) We left the waiter 20% and stood outside the restaurant for a few minutes before loading the car to depart. While standing outside, he came outside and asked us if everything was OK. His tone was less than cordial and almost argumentative. We know he got all the tip as we handed him the check, the cash for the meal and his tip personally. We talked about this for days trying to figure out what was the issue. We were going to return for a second evening, but his behavior had us a little spooked so we ate elsewhere.

The small shops just north of 30A at Old Grayton Beach on the west side of the street just south of Big Mama's Hula Girl shop. We were followed around in one shop like we were going to steal something! I was contemplating purchasing a few things but decided she wasn't getting my money.

These are just a few of the poor experiences we had while spending our cash in the Beaches of South Walton. We had a few more, but I think you get the idea.

BUT, we also had two really nice experiences at the Starbucks just east of the Old Grayton Beach intersection on 30A. The gal at the Starbucks was wonderful, chatting, laughing and made us great lattes. The owner of the Sterling Gallery was a really nice guy - no pressure, fun to talk with, etc. We bought more than several items from him.

We just couldn't get over the rude treatment to paying customers. Are our experiences isolated?
That is very sad that you received that treatment while on vacation. I will address a few of the issues.
1. publix...that was isolted! I always get the nicest treatment in there. On every isle people are asking if they can help me find something. Must of been the young girl who wanted to be somewhere else!
2. Red Bar.....that is just weird. I've never experienced anything like that although it is certainly not your average dining experience. They must of been some confused about the bill.
3. shops of grayton...haven't been in there in years.

In general, I find people are friendly and helpful. Oh yea, the liquor store, the owner is very nice and friendly...don't know the guy working there. He must not love his job!
 
These are just a few of the poor experiences we had while spending our cash in the Beaches of South Walton. We had a few more, but I think you get the idea.

Did you get flipped the bird in heavy traffic? Because that might have been me:eek: ...but I hate you recieved that kind of treatment elsewhere!

Also, I think this has been one of the coolest Aprils on record - I haven't checked the almanac or anything but it sure seems that way...

Hope you have a better experience next time!
 
temps have been cold I'm sure. It felt that way to me. Rude service? well some will always be so. Did you talk to the people you met? People here are generally pretty friendly and engaging! Ignore the ignorant. Don't let them ruin it for you. Next time talk to the people. See you soon.
 
Publix -- they are friendly enough to me, but I shop there two or three times a week, though I don't think anyone at that particular Publix has ever said thank you. (although I never felt that most clerks thank-you's were genuine, just obligatory, and I would rather have a smile any day). Those kids working at that Publix are good kids, and they mean well, and try to do a good job. They are young and some are a little shy, so maybe their social skills are not in line with more mature clerks at other Publix.

RedBar - no idea, but seeing as that is a very unusual thing for a server to follow you outside with that kind of question, either you miscalculated the money vs the check, or the server did.

Blue Mtn Liquor store -- I've been in there only twice, but I don't buy much liquour. Joe, the white haired, dark-skinned as burned toast, was not overwelcoming with warmth, but he wasn't rude at all -- just not that southern hospitality one expects to receive by people living at the beach. I won't go into detail, but Joe is a charm compared the female owner with who I got into with one day.

Shops of Grayton -- :idontno: Maybe they were just glad to have a customer :drool: after the cool down from spring break.

Unfortunately, here at the beach, good help is sometimes difficult to find. There are plenty of places with good help, but good luck if you happen to hit the wrong places. One problem is that owners sometimes fear firing an bad employee because even bad employees are warm bodies, and warm bodies are hard to come by in a place where the unemployment is the lowest in the state.

Better luck on your next visit. If you want service with a smile, I'll give you two places to visit. 1) Borago, 2) I cannot tell you from fear of having to wait in line for breakfast. ;-)
 
Better luck on your next visit. If you want service with a smile, I'll give you two places to visit. 1) Borago, 2) I cannot tell you from fear of having to wait in line for breakfast. ;-)
Well, maybe she doesn't have three hours to spend on breakfast anyway.
 
Publix -- they are friendly enough to me, but I shop there two or three times a week, though I don't think anyone at that particular Publix has ever said thank you. (although I never felt that most clerks thank-you's were genuine, just obligatory, and I would rather have a smile any day). Those kids working at that Publix are good kids, and they mean well, and try to do a good job. They are young and some are a little shy, so maybe their social skills are not in line with more mature clerks at other Publix.

RedBar - no idea, but seeing as that is a very unusual thing for a server to follow you outside with that kind of question, either you miscalculated the money vs the check, or the server did.

Blue Mtn Liquor store -- I've been in there only twice, but I don't buy much liquour. Joe, the white haired, dark-skinned as burned toast, was not overwelcoming with warmth, but he wasn't rude at all -- just not that southern hospitality one expects to receive by people living at the beach. I won't go into detail, but Joe is a charm compared the female owner with who I got into with one day.

Shops of Grayton -- :idontno: Maybe they were just glad to have a customer :drool: after the cool down from spring break.

Unfortunately, here at the beach, good help is sometimes difficult to find. There are plenty of places with good help, but good luck if you happen to hit the wrong places. One problem is that owners sometimes fear firing an bad employee because even bad employees are warm bodies, and warm bodies are hard to come by in a place where the unemployment is the lowest in the state.

Better luck on your next visit. If you want service with a smile, I'll give you two places to visit. 1) Borago, 2) I cannot tell you from fear of having to wait in line for breakfast. ;-)

what he said...Joe @ BM liquor is a super nice guy...but he is very deadpan...i cannot go in there without him inquiring about my family...but locals get preferred treatment most places here. Everyone knows everyone. It's very hometowny if you live here.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top