• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

TDC Confiscated Kayak

New posts
I'll make it very easy so we can clear up any confusion:

DON'T LEAVE YOUR STUFF ON THE BEACH!!!

Seriously, would you leave stuff unattended in a city park for hours or days and expect it to be there when you got back? :idontno:

I don't know when it became such a chore for people to pick up after themselves and show a little courtesy for nature and other users. :angry:

That's a good way to put it.
 
I'll make it very easy so we can clear up any confusion:

DON'T LEAVE YOUR STUFF ON THE BEACH!!!

Seriously, would you leave stuff unattended in a city park for hours or days and expect it to be there when you got back? :idontno:

I don't know when it became such a chore for people to pick up after themselves and show a little courtesy for nature and other users. :angry:

I Second.


.
 
The TDC only removes stuff that is at a TDC trashcan, a TDC walkover OR tagged by Code Enforcement or the Sheriff. The TDC doesn't tag anything.
 
The TDC only removes stuff that is at a TDC trashcan, a TDC walkover OR tagged by Code Enforcement or the Sheriff. The TDC doesn't tag anything.

I'll try one more time. I am in favor of clearing the beach overnight. But I think there is confusion when it comes to kayaks and more general confusion from the TDC policy quoted above. Apparently people can leave stuff at the foot of private walkovers, or under the walkovers, and it does not get removed. So the unsuspecting tourist who sees a kayak left at the dune line next to a private walkover may very well think that is okay, it is not a violation of the rule. The rule is inconsistent and treats people's stuff differently depending on the walkover. This is not the way to encourage compliance, IMHO.
 
Just trying to think of an different example of what you are saying, notdeadyet. My closest example would be boat docks. Privately owned and built boat docks exists, as do public ones, maintained by the TDC. People see boats tied up to private docks, but they don't leave their boat tied to the TDC docks for a week at a time. It is really a pain in the rear to load the boat on the trailer and take it back to the condo, only to go put it back in the water tomorrow.
 
And what if a catamaran gets left on the beach? You see that all the time in the summer. The one TDC guy and his pickup can't remove that. So maybe he tags it so the owner understands that boats are included in the "items left on the beach." Maybe it doesn't get tagged right away, and I am a kayak owner who sees the cat sitting there, and I think boats are an exception. So then the TDC comes by, tags the cat and removes my kayak.
I think they could have done a much better job with the signage. I also think the way they went about enforcing the rule last year created lots of opportunities for confusion.

Do you really want the TDC to get into the signage business again?
 
I'll try one more time. I am in favor of clearing the beach overnight. But I think there is confusion when it comes to kayaks and more general confusion from the TDC policy quoted above. Apparently people can leave stuff at the foot of private walkovers, or under the walkovers, and it does not get removed. So the unsuspecting tourist who sees a kayak left at the dune line next to a private walkover may very well think that is okay, it is not a violation of the rule. The rule is inconsistent and treats people's stuff differently depending on the walkover. This is not the way to encourage compliance, IMHO.

Maybe this recommendation should be made to the Beach Activities Coordinator at Code Enforcement as I believe they are the ones responsible for coming up with what the accurate sign verbiage should be and the ground rules for the program, not the TDC. The TDC's role is to remove items that violate the ground rules.

In a perfect world, I also think it would be great to get everything off the beach. But then again, if I was a private homeowner who owned to the mean high water line and placed my stuff UNDER or beside my walkover and the government came by and told me to move it.... We would have a situation!
 
Maybe this recommendation should be made to the Beach Activities Coordinator at Code Enforcement as I believe they are the ones responsible for coming up with what the accurate sign verbiage should be and the ground rules for the program, not the TDC. The TDC's role is to remove items that violate the ground rules.

In a perfect world, I also think it would be great to get everything off the beach. But then again, if I was a private homeowner who owned to the mean high water line and placed my stuff UNDER or beside my walkover and the government came by and told me to move it.... We would have a situation!


:yikes::yikes::yikes: What the hell?!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you seriously advocating private property rights at the beach? Just when I thought I had you figured out, you're trying to turn all my perceptions upside-down.
SoWal etiquette...;-)
 
:yikes::yikes::yikes: What the hell?!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you seriously advocating private property rights at the beach? Just when I thought I had you figured out, you're trying to turn all my perceptions upside-down.
SoWal etiquette...;-)

I wouldn't say I was advocating private property rights at the beach.;-) I have never had a problem with private ownership, my points have always been in regards with public/private use. It's the old devil in the details.

I believe that a private owner should be able to place his/her merchandise under his/her walkover for storage when they leave the beach at night and then drag it out in the morning from under or beside their walkover to use as long as it doesn't impair sea turtle nesting, beach maintenance or emergency vehicles.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top