• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Tent camping

New posts

travelencanucks

Beach Crab
We will be traveling from Calgary Canada end of July, looking for a nice beach campground to tent with 2 small kids (8 years old) we have a cabin booked for one night in Grayton, and I'm unsure to stay the 2 nights before in Grayton also but tenting, or to try St. Andrews State park also? We are looking for nice beach camping but with a fishing pier to enjoy what the locals catch. Our closest water is in Vancouver which is cold, so I'm solooking forward to all the sights and warm water in your area. The last 2 days of out 6 days we are staying in Panama City Beach at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, and good or bad thoughts on that?

Thanks so much,
 
I think you will like Grayton Beach State Park and will want to tent there also. There is no pier in SoWal but lots of fishing in the lakes and from the beach. You can rent a canoe at the park and fish from it, with a lot to explore by boat as well. At the end of July the water is like a bath compared to Canada.
 
:roll:what kurt said, but make your reservations, even for tenting, in Grayton beach state park (GBSP)well in advance, especially for july. Tent camping at GBSP is also for RV's and they fill quickly. The cabins are about one mile down the beach, with the community of Grayton Beach in between the two.
 
In case Grayton is full you can also try the Camping on the Gulf park located close to Sandestin.

http://www.campgulf.com/

The loonie is going further these days so you picked a good summer to visit. Keep in mind that it can get HOT and muggy here in July so be prepared -the tent may prove a bit uncomfortable for sleeping. I know it can get hot up in the prairie provinces too but this is a humid heat and it is different.

You may want to consider the cabin for the full time you are here.
 
Last edited:
I'd also try for Grayton first because it's such a contrast to Panama City Beach. I think there's camping at Henderson State Park in Destin now. If so, that's a nice fallback spot.
 
I have to break in with my pessimistic evaluation...

I find that tent camping at Grayton isn't very pleasant, especially when you're likely to be a few feet away from the humming of some retiree's RV...
Parks should do more to segregate tent and RV campers if you ask me - or at least provide more remote places to camp that are off limits to vehicular traffic.
The first (and last) time I tent camped at Grayton, I was preparing to relax to a barbeque fire and a book when the family next to me got together to watch "american idol." Just the thought of it irritated me, but I'm an old fashioned jerk so :cool: ...
I don't know when the definition of "camping" evolved to include six wheels, a generator, satellite TV, full size bed, a golf cart, etc. etc...

But Grayton is a nice place regardless...

Calgary, huh? I'll bet there are wide open spaces up there :wub:
 
We will be traveling from Calgary Canada end of July, looking for a nice beach campground to tent with 2 small kids (8 years old) we have a cabin booked for one night in Grayton, and I'm unsure to stay the 2 nights before in Grayton also but tenting, or to try St. Andrews State park also? We are looking for nice beach camping but with a fishing pier to enjoy what the locals catch. Our closest water is in Vancouver which is cold, so I'm solooking forward to all the sights and warm water in your area. The last 2 days of out 6 days we are staying in Panama City Beach at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, and good or bad thoughts on that?

Thanks so much,
Words of advice to avoid humidity induced discomfort....pitch the tent and rent the cabin. No pun intended.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top