• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Texas travel

New posts

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Since we have so many Texans that visit Sowal, I wanted to ask for help from you on a stopping recommendation.

My wife and I will be traveling west from Sowal for Thanksgiving and are looking for a place to stop and enjoy between Dallas and Amarillo. We would prefer closer to Amarillo. Is there anywhere in particular that is recommended? Our plan is just for a one or two day stopover. Thanks in advance for recommendations.
 
I'm not ignoring your question, I have just been slammed at work--I'll get back to ya in a while!!
 
I'm not ignoring your question, I have just been slammed at work--I'll get back to ya in a while!!

I understand... Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Hopefully Ms. Kitty will chime in also since her location says Dallas..:biggrin:
 
Last edited:
I understand... Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Hopefully Ms. Kitty will chime in also since her location says Dallas..:biggrin:


:wave: ... I wasn't ignoring you, I promise. It's just I have never driven west of Ft. Worth! This is a dammm big state, and you can usually see me leaving Texas to the East! :biggrin: One tip...make sure your A/C is working real good! I know dd will have lots to tell you...she gets around! ;-)

P.S. could you at least stop here for a coffee rest?
 
Last edited:
:wave: ... I wasn't ignoring you, I promise. It's just I have never driven west of Ft. Worth! This is a dammm big state, and you can usually see me leaving Texas to the East! :biggrin: One tip...make sure your A/C is working real good! I know dd will have lots to tell you...she gets around! ;-)

P.S. could you at least stop here for a coffee rest?

I know how that is I don't know anything about Ft Walton Beach and its only 30 minutes (or 1.5 hours in the summer) :biggrin:

Good point on the A/C check-up and I like coffee :biggrin:
 
Ok...here's the scoop and just my personal native Texan opinion..FWIW...

To me, West Texas has a certain "Old West" charm....kinda like what you think about when you think of Texas. Lots of folks don't care for it, but I am a traveler and I can usually find something interesting wherever I go.

I'm assuming you'll take Hwy 287 from Fort Worth all the way to Amarillo (337 mi)
You'll go through Wichita Falls and truthfully, there's not just a whole lot there....And, then, you'll go through a bunch of REALLY small towns basically until you get to Amarillo. IF I were you, I'd go all the way to Canyon and go to the Palo Duro Canyon. It's beautiful and there's a state park there. www.tpwd.state.tx.us

If I'm not mistaken, I think the old original Route 66 goes through Amarillo, or close by there.

And, I'd also go to the Cadillac Ranch....it's where those cadillacs are buried nose down into the earth....pretty amusing..at least to me.

I think there are some wineries in the area too.

Now, if you decided to stay closer to Dallas/Ft. Worth, I'd definitely pick Fort Worth.....
Stockyards
Lots of museums that are very cool
Lots of yummy restaurants

Hope this answers some questions and gets you thinking....please let me know where you're gonna stay and I'll try to get you more specifics.
And, yes, you must at least stop by for coffee;-) with the Texgent gals.

So glad you're gonna visit our lovely state!!! Welcome!!! :clap: :clap:
 
Ok...here's the scoop and just my personal native Texan opinion..FWIW...

To me, West Texas has a certain "Old West" charm....kinda like what you think about when you think of Texas. Lots of folks don't care for it, but I am a traveler and I can usually find something interesting wherever I go.

I'm assuming you'll take Hwy 287 from Fort Worth all the way to Amarillo (337 mi)
You'll go through Wichita Falls and truthfully, there's not just a whole lot there....And, then, you'll go through a bunch of REALLY small towns basically until you get to Amarillo. IF I were you, I'd go all the way to Canyon and go to the Palo Duro Canyon. It's beautiful and there's a state park there. www.tpwd.state.tx.us

If I'm not mistaken, I think the old original Route 66 goes through Amarillo, or close by there.

And, I'd also go to the Cadillac Ranch....it's where those cadillacs are buried nose down into the earth....pretty amusing..at least to me.

I think there are some wineries in the area too.

Now, if you decided to stay closer to Dallas/Ft. Worth, I'd definitely pick Fort Worth.....
Stockyards
Lots of museums that are very cool
Lots of yummy restaurants

Hope this answers some questions and gets you thinking....please let me know where you're gonna stay and I'll try to get you more specifics.
And, yes, you must at least stop by for coffee with the Texgent gals.

So glad you're gonna visit our lovely state!!! Welcome!!! :clap: :clap:

This is great input and we will be on 287. Our final destination is Taos, New Mexico so this will be our last stop before we get there. BTW, Taos, New Mexico is my favorite place in the states but don't tell anyone. It will be our third Thanksgiving in a row there and the 5th visit in 3 years so we love the west!! This is our first driving trip though :eek: :clap:

I will definitely check out the canyon website, cadillac ranch, etc. and let you know what we decide. Thank you very much for the input!!!:biggrin:
 
This is great input and we will be on 287. Our final destination is Taos, New Mexico so this will be our last stop before we get there. BTW, Taos, New Mexico is my favorite place in the states but don't tell anyone. It will be our third Thanksgiving in a row there and the 5th visit in 3 years so we love the west!! This is our first driving trip though :eek: :clap:

I will definitely check out the canyon website, cadillac ranch, etc. and let you know what we decide. Thank you very much for the input!!!:biggrin:

Ooooh! I love Taos too. Haven't spent much time there, but I just love New Mexico....period. Beautiful place.
Seriously, there's not a whole lot between Dallas/Fort Worth and Amarillo. You'll feel like you're just driving and driving and driving...:eek: If you're going on to Taos, I'd stay in Amarillo and venture around from there. Check out www.traveltex.com too...lots of info.
 
Ooooh! I love Taos too. Haven't spent much time there, but I just love New Mexico....period. Beautiful place.
Seriously, there's not a whole lot between Dallas/Fort Worth and Amarillo. You'll feel like you're just driving and driving and driving...:eek: If you're going on to Taos, I'd stay in Amarillo and venture around from there. Check out www.traveltex.com too...lots of info.

New Mexico is the friendliest place I have ever been and I have only lived in the south so that's saying alot. We will be coming from LA and our trip is estimated at 11 hrs from where we are in LA (in-laws) to Amarillo so that's why I was saying between Dallas and Amarillo is fine. I have heard that I will see plenty of tumbleweeds between Dallas and Amarillo :biggrin:

By the way, if you need Taos information, I could be your travel guide :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Man! Marathon drive!!! I will definitely remember about Taos info from you if I ever go anywhere but SoWal again...:D :idontno:
thanks!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top