• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

The real boom has not started here yet.

New posts

seal

Beach Lover
I interpret this that the real boom has not even started down here yet. Forecast reads: "diminishing cloudiness with sunny skies ahead.."



Boomer Boon - Great Implications for the Real Estate Market

It?s just the beginning. This year, four million baby boomers will celebrate their 60th birthday. Well-known personalities so far have included Presidents Bush and Clinton, Cher, Sylvester Stallone, Dolly Parton, and Donald Trump.
Every 8 seconds, another boomer will turn 60 and this has great implications for the real estate business. Boomers will sell, buy, move, and join the ranks of real estate like no other generation. It is well documented how the purchase power of this generation has reshaped the economy. The impact continues as 60 some things buy second homes, invest in real estate, purchase condominiums, zero lot lines, downsize, and even ?test drive? homes for retirement.

The 2006 National Association of Realtors ? study, BABY BOOMERS AND REAL ESTATE: Today and Tomorrow, was conducted online by Harris Interactive ? among a nationwide cross section of 2000 U.S. adults born between 1946 and 1964. Results show an ?almost insatiable desire for real estate? with 25% owning multiple properties, including ownership of 57% of all vacation homes, and 58% of rental properties.

http://www.realtor.org/PublicAffairsWeb.nsf/Pages/BabyBoomerStudy06
 
I agree with the subject title. But I also believe we will continue to get a lot of younger couples and families who want to live at the beach and have enough money to, or will move here to start businesses, or who can work from anywhere (and will use the new airport).

The takeoff is going to be slow for awhile as more infrastructure is built. Once prices stabilize we will have an influx of new residents, and investors with deeper pockets than what we saw during the greed hump.
 
I definitely hope the area continues to be a place that draws families who build their lives in SoWal. The quality of life for families seems to be on the high end of quality of life.

As we know, the challenge will be for the area to provide more jobs (ideally airport will draw more companies and provide people with a way to live at/near the beach and fly to their jobs -- e.g.,consultants who travel for their work could live pretty conveniently at the beach with an convenient airport). I could also see it as a place for people who have had a successful career, still have young children, but want to move their lives to the beach and will be able to accommodate a drop in income if necessary in order to live life at the beach. (As some people we know have done.)

Anyhoooo -- I'm a believer that "where there's a will there's a way" for most people (my mother must have said that to us as children).
 
I want to move there NOW!!!!!!!!! Have a lot but can't afford to build. Property taxes, insurance, homeowner's, special assessments. Grayton take me away. Away from the interstates of Atlanta, the eighteen wheelers, the soccer moms.:bang:
 
Nothing against soccer moms except they're always rushing somewhere or another. I want the simple life (minus Paris). Seafood, water, sunshine, trees that don't loose their leaves in the winter. This is starting to sound like a novel.:idontno:
 
I don't know if boomers will flock to SOWAL. Most real estate is currently out of their price range while they are employed. Based on the stories I hear about personal debt and poor savings, I don't think your average SOWAL property is attainable. And from what I have observed and read, people who are not born into wealth 9 times out of 10 achieve wealth by being frugal...something tells me that those folks would be happy in a modest house or condo elsewhere paid for in cash where they have a big lump of moolah left over. But, this is all just speculation, I could be way off.:lol:
 
I don't know if boomers will flock to SOWAL. Most real estate is currently out of their price range while they are employed. Based on the stories I hear about personal debt and poor savings, I don't think your average SOWAL property is attainable. And from what I have observed and read, people who are not born into wealth 9 times out of 10 achieve wealth by being frugal...something tells me that those folks would be happy in a modest house or condo elsewhere paid for in cash where they have a big lump of moolah left over. But, this is all just speculation, I could be way off.:lol:

Which is why at some point garden homes and townhomes will pop like mushrooms beside golf courses north of the bay.
 
I don't know if boomers will flock to SOWAL. Most real estate is currently out of their price range while they are employed. Based on the stories I hear about personal debt and poor savings, I don't think your average SOWAL property is attainable. And from what I have observed and read, people who are not born into wealth 9 times out of 10 achieve wealth by being frugal...something tells me that those folks would be happy in a modest house or condo elsewhere paid for in cash where they have a big lump of moolah left over. But, this is all just speculation, I could be way off.:lol:

boomers will flock to walton and bay co...JOE has a big vested interest to make sure they do and it will happen
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top