• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

The real boom has not started here yet.

New posts
I know of some folks who moved down permanently. One travelled almost full time (able to work from anywhere) and the spouse took a job in the area. It worked well for them, although they did buy their primary residence in 2004, I believe, at a much more affordable price.

But their whole thing was wanting to live at the beach full time.
 
If you're wanting to draw the retiree crowd, you have to design communities that are set up well for retirees. It doesn't have to be the next coming of The Villages, but you need low maitenance housing that's reasonably close to grocery shopping, churches, and health care.

If I was looking to retire down here, Sandestin actually has a very good set up- choice of single family/townhouse/condo, you can get around with a golf cart or development-provided shuttle service instead of a car, you're close to the Sacred Heart complex, and if you get to the point where you need assisted living, Crystal Bay is very very nice and you're close to friends you've made in the area.

But a lot of the developments on 30-A, the access to those kinds of things is harder, and so many of the single family homes are 2-3 stories. (If you're planning on being somewhere at age 85, single story is desirable)
 
We bought a condo that we use for our personal use (do not rent it out) and I would do back flips down the street naked if my hubby came home and said we are moving to the beach full time! My kids and I love it so much there, the weather, the beach, the slow pace, the people are awesome. I can't wait for him to retire so we can be down there full time.:pissed:
 
I would do back flips down the street naked if my hubby came home and said we are moving to the beach full time! My kids and I love it so much there, the weather, the beach, the slow pace, the people are awesome. I can't wait for him to retire so we can be down there full time.:pissed:

I'm sure you would be warmly welcomed. As a whole, this community is very supportive of people inclined to do naked back flips.:clap_1:
 
The boomers will come and are remodeling/planning their second homes to accomodate the retirement needs and gradual physical demise of them and their aging parents!

Kitchens and baths are being remodeled to accomodate full time use and physical limitations. I am getting many requests for wheelchair accessible bathrooms, shower grab bars, ground floor master suites, elevators, dumbwaiters etc from clients who are very active.

A common plan I've heard is to have a home health care provider live in the carriage house when they need help, but aren't ready for assisted living.

We need to plan accordingly with public transportation, services, and greater accessibility not just for all the aging boomers, but the many military personnel w/ severe injuries from Middle East service.
 
And Franklin, Gulf . . .

Add Leon and Wakulla. Just look at what JOE has accomplished in Southwood.

We took our boat up the Wakulla River today and we were very surprised to see the amount of new building ? even in today?s terrible real estate market.
 
I agree with the subject title. But I also believe we will continue to get a lot of younger couples and families who want to live at the beach and have enough money to, or will move here to start businesses, or who can work from anywhere (and will use the new airport).

The takeoff is going to be slow for awhile as more infrastructure is built. Once prices stabilize we will have an influx of new residents, and investors with deeper pockets than what we saw during the greed hump.

What you said applies to me, Kurt. My wife and I are 34, we have a 3 year old and will be having our second any day. We move here from St. Louis in February. I am a consultant who travels in and out mostly every week and as soon as I realized I could live almost anywhere (and saw the prices drop) we jumped at the chance to be at the beach...

So glad to be here.

Cheers, George
 
Welcome George!!! I am beginning to hear this allot. Buyers seem to be getting a little restless. In a buyer, seller standoff I always put my money on a buyer winning but have recently learned buyers can not sit still too long. Buyers like to buy!
 
I want to move there NOW!!!!!!!!! Have a lot but can't afford to build. Property taxes, insurance, homeowner's, special assessments. Grayton take me away. Away from the interstates of Atlanta, the eighteen wheelers, the soccer moms.:bang:

Going to your city this weekend for 2 days. It is hard to leave Seagrove for ATL. But ATL has a lot of cool stuff that we do not have down here.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top