• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Thoughts on tipping...

New posts
Two questions to throw out regarding tipping..and yes, I did my time in the restaurant and always tip, but...

What does everyone think about the common practice at counter service places giving you a credit card slip with a space for a tip? In other words, asking for a tip for somebody who does little more than take your order, and asking for it before any service is rendered?

And-I noticed one dining spot in SOWAL now adds 15% to your order for gratuity even if you are dining alone. You can tip more if you want, but you have no choice regarding the 15%. (Actually, 16%;-) ) What does everyone think about this?
 
Two questions to throw out regarding tipping..and yes, I did my time in the restaurant and always tip, but...

What does everyone think about the common practice at counter service places giving you a credit card slip with a space for a tip? In other words, asking for a tip for somebody who does little more than take your order, and asking for it before any service is rendered?

And-I noticed one dining spot in SOWAL now adds 15% to your order for gratuity even if you are dining alone. You can tip more if you want, but you have no choice regarding the 15%. (Actually, 16%;-) ) What does everyone think about this?
Well, by the added 1%, we can guess that the restaurant is located in Seaside. For me, it depends on the restaurant. I don't like being asked for a tip before service is given, and typically, I will not tip on the card if that is the case, but will tip with cash after dining.

As for the 15% automated, I don't have a problem tipping 15% as long as the service was somewhat decent. If I was completely dissatisfied, with the service, I might demand that they remove the "gratuity" from my bill. I rarely tip less than 20% and tip as much as 50% in some cases, like at bars. Counter service (other than bar) typically gets my change and maybe a dollar bill.

BTW, that 1% additional tax in Seaside, to the best of my knowledge, is optional, and they will remove it for your purchases, only upon request. They add it as the default. The stores used to post that info in the window of the stores.
 
Last edited:
As for the 15% automated, I don't have a problem tipping 15% as long as the service was somewhat decent. If I was completely dissatisfied, with the service, I might demand that they remove the "gratuity" from my bill. I rarely tip less than 20% and tip as much as 50% in some cases, like at bars. Counter service (other than bar) typically gets my change and maybe a dollar bill.

I pretty much follow SJ's 20%+ tipping philosophy. Perhaps the reason some restaurants have instituted automatic tipping is because the wait staff consistently (unjustifiably) get stiffed on tips? I don't KNOW this to be the case ... just thinking that may be the reason.
 
We use 20% as a standard now and more for small tabs like a quick bar drink. I will cut the tip for poor service and usually leave a buck or two for counter service if they are reasonably nice.

What irritates me more than anything is the practice of printing on the bottom of the ticket what a 15%, 20%, 25%, and yes even a 30% tip calculates to be. Do those idiots think that I can't calculate a tip? It makes me want to give them a 2 cent tip and walk.

Sorry about the rant:bang: :bang: :bang:
 
What irritates me more than anything is the practice of printing on the bottom of the ticket what a 15%, 20%, 25%, and yes even a 30% tip calculates to be. Do those idiots think that I can't calculate a tip? It makes me want to give them a 2 cent tip and walk.

You would be surprised at the large number of people who cannot do this math.
 
We use 20% as a standard now and more for small tabs like a quick bar drink. I will cut the tip for poor service and usually leave a buck or two for counter service if they are reasonably nice.

What irritates me more than anything is the practice of printing on the bottom of the ticket what a 15%, 20%, 25%, and yes even a 30% tip calculates to be. Do those idiots think that I can't calculate a tip? It makes me want to give them a 2 cent tip and walk.

Sorry about the rant:bang: :bang: :bang:

Hmm, haven't experienced this. Not sure I would like it either...it's 4th grade math! Surely if you aren't smarter than a 5th grader, you can still do this!:roll:
 
Hmm, haven't experienced this. Not sure I would like it either...it's 4th grade math! Surely if you aren't smarter than a 5th grader, you can still do this!:roll:
Apparently, you guys have not seen the tip card which they actually sell :funn: in stationery stores. Reciept paper will often have the tip percentages printed on the back. Some people just don't do math, and never will.

4CFBlackback.4.jpg
 
I pretty much follow SJ's 20%+ tipping philosophy. Perhaps the reason some restaurants have instituted automatic tipping is because the wait staff consistently (unjustifiably) get stiffed on tips? I don't KNOW this to be the case ... just thinking that may be the reason.

I am wondering if the tip is automatically included because of the counter service situation. Maybe many customers assume it is like a fast food counter and do not tip, so the staff doesn't make any money. If that is the case, maybe this could be tracked somehow and their hourly rate adjusted to compensate for inconsistant tips.:idontno:

Also, do servers and bartenders still make far less than minimum wage? It has been a long time since I have been in the game, so I don't know the current hourly pay. Maybe if more people knew the hourly rate paid to restaurant staffers, they would tip better.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top