• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Tipping

New posts

I tip the following:

  • What's a tip, I'm paying the bill aren't I.

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 10%

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 15%

    Votes: 11 13.4%
  • 20%

    Votes: 37 45.1%
  • 20%+

    Votes: 32 39.0%

  • Total voters
    82
Look up 'tipping' on wikipedia for everything you could possibly want to know. Here is a section I pulled regarding restaurant tipping in the USA:

At a restaurant
...
Tipping at buffet-style restaurants is not necessary, although some may think it is appropriate to tip a small amount (e.g., $1 per person) if a server refills their drinks or 10% if there is some table service in addition to the buffet....

So I wonder if this means that people should tip $1 per person when restaurants like Fire have a buffet? I see they wrote, "buffet style," but aren't they distinguishing the differences in tips based on the type of service. What about when the Ritz Carlton puts out a nice buffet? :idontno:
 
When's the last time you spent $200k+ on a meal? Just saying. :blink:
:biggrin: Grayt point, gb. Hubba and I both usually tip 20%+ on the total. Neither of us ever even thought to tip on the subtotal. :idontno:Maybe it's because we've both been there, done that. ;-) Good service is hard work made to look easy.
 
So I wonder if this means that people should tip $1 per person when restaurants like Fire have a buffet? I see they wrote, "buffet style," but aren't they distinguishing the differences in tips based on the type of service. What about when the Ritz Carlton puts out a nice buffet? :idontno:

You sound like the kid in my Catholic school religion class asking if it was OK to eat meat on a Lenten Friday if you found yourself lost in the wilderness and had no other food...
 
I've always (or least as far back as I can remember) tipped on a 20% basis.

If I get remarkably poor service (meaning I want to talk about how bad it was later) I still tip at least 15% to 18%, I always assume they're just having a bad day.;-) The second occurence of similar service either gets the "ban":angry: or if the place is otherwise great then I will "politely" talk to the manager on duty.:(

On the other hand "If" the waiter/waitress intoduces themself, treats me and my party like they are really glad we came, takes the time to not only offer the specials but explain the dishes/menu, remembers the order(s) of the entire table before and after prep, always anticipates the next question or need - then I will often tip an amount up to equal the price of the meal (any one or more of those "extras" will get a tip more than 20%).:clap: This is obviously easier to do the cheaper the bill and the fatter my wallet, especially for my family of six.

As an exception, on the rare occasions I find that I'm desperate enough to walk into a Waffle House at some ungodly hour and process $5 worth of non-nutritive food products:eek: that waitress usually wins the $10 or $20 lottery.
 
If you sympathize with the following video you should never, never, never, never, ever, ever, ever, ever eat out again.

Warning strong language contained.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6pi-9LBtxs"]
nomedia]
 
To quote one comment on that video page:

"Let me explain this to you since you obviously don't get. When you don't tip your server it is the equivalent... oh, too big of a word... it is the same as me going down to the welfare office and blocking your way in. You don't tip = we can't pay our bills. I block your way into welfare office = you can't buy your crack. Ya feel me?"
 
The really scary part is she logs in occasionally to delete all of the comments. The oldest and one of the worst is only a month old. The video was originally posted in May!!
 
That is one funny video. I bet that girl doesn't realize that the server would have said the same thing to someone of a different skin color if they left him a tip of only 6%, saying that they had a choice of eating seafood salad and mo-fo'in Filet Mignon or McDonald's, and they chose a big @ss steak and they waiter not getting a tip is not their problem.
 
:funn:is all i have to say. oh yeah and nice a$$.:roll: the dollardollarbillyall is more appropriate.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top